How long will this last?

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
My pulchra sling has been in premolt for about 2-3 weeks now. They are currently sealed in their hide. This is a usual occurrence because she does that whenever she is in premolt, but this is taking longer than usual. How long do you think they will remain hidden for?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No one knows - these types of questions cannot ever be answered

DustyD

Arachnoknight
It could take weeks longer or more. The longest mine have been secluded is six weeks. Others have reported months or more.

So as anxious or eager as you may be to see your hairy eight-legged friend again, just let it be. Don’t disturb it.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Perfect time for this 😉 It will molt and come out when it’s ready to, likely not before that. Until then wait!!
The simple truth but you might as well stop stressing about it because it won’t make it happen any quicker than it is going to take! I know it can be nerve wracking when you’re new but be rest assured that your tarantula is perfectly okay and this is normal!

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
If you get anxious waiting for your sling to molt and reemerge, there's a really simple solution.

Get another sling and focus on it while your first sling is in premolt. By the time your new sling goes into premolt and you're anxious about it not being visible, your first sling should have molted; at the very least, it would be a lot further along on its premolt.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
My smallest pulchra has been in premolt since August, and has been buried since early December. Get comfortable...

cold blood

Staff member
how long pre molt lasts is not a one size fits all...there are many variables that factor in to how long a t sits in PM....temps, size and species and previous molt cycles are all factors...once all those are considered, it comes down to feeding schedule, as any t fed more heavily will naturally end up in pre molt longer...potentially much much longer.

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
If you get anxious waiting for your sling to molt and reemerge, there's a really simple solution.

Get another sling and focus on it while your first sling is in premolt. By the time your new sling goes into premolt and you're anxious about it not being visible, your first sling should have molted; at the very least, it would be a lot further along on its premolt.
I cant get another sling for reasons i wont explain..

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Perfect time for this 😉 It will molt and come out when it’s ready to, likely not before that. Until then wait!!
The simple truth but you might as well stop stressing about it because it won’t make it happen any quicker than it is going to take! I know it can be nerve wracking when you’re new but be rest assured that your tarantula is perfectly okay and this is normal!
I'm not stressed at all. I'm just a little worried because the space it dug out is small and i'm not sure it will have enough space to molt in.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not stressed at all. I'm just a little worried because the space it dug out is small and i'm not sure it will have enough space to molt in.
It will have enough space to molt in I promise, they know what they are doing and make enough room for themselves every time!

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
It'll likely start excavating more once it's actually nearing it's molt.

caedus511

Arachnopeon

Pretty sure this is the same advice I received when my first T went into premolt.

I now have 9 T's and 2 jumping spiders.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
could be 6 months-1 year. What size sling? 1/2" and 1 1/2" could be 2 years of difference with these

Pedipalpable

Arachnosquire
Though I have not yet kept one myself (hopefully will soon though) I feel confident saying that 2 or 3 weeks for a slow growing species like Grammostola pulchra is not unusual at all. Based on everything I have read from keepers on here, slow growing species tend to have longer premolt periods.

For instance, I have not seen my 2” female Brachypelma hamorii for 44 days now. She walled off her hide with dirt on February 13th and has been inside ever since. I have no idea when I will see her again.

So I ended up getting a 1” Acanthoscurria geniculata sling who has been keeping me busy. They too are in premolt now, so I’ll just have to see how it goes. Nothing to be done but wait.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
You can reduce the time spent in premolt by increasing temperature (within reason obviously, keep it between 80 and 84F), and make sure you feed gut loaded insects.