how long to keep food in T's house

khayman918

Arachnopeon
I have a 15 gallon tank for my little G. rosea and many hiding places. I just dropped 3 crickets in earlier today and was wondering how long I should leave them in there chirping to give my T. a chance to find them?

Should I maybe just put one in at a time, near the spider perhaps, or reduce the number of hiding spots for the spider and crickets?:?

Also, can the crickets bother or hurt my T? I am a complete newbie at this(obviously), so please excuse my ignorance:p

Thanks for any help!

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah I would just put in one at a time directly in front of the T'. leave it for 24 hours if not eaten right away. if you put in three or four then one could lay eggs, this normally wouldn't be a problem unless your spider is molting then the crickets can take a bite out of your T'. and for a rosehair you pretty much only need one hiding spot but it doesn't really matter.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and don't be surprised if your rosehair stops eating for a while mine just started eating after three months.

khayman918

Arachnopeon
Yeah I just cleared out most of the hiding places and pushed the crickets out. One wandered in front of my T' and got gobbled up, so I guess he was hungry.:D

Ill just have to re-think my cage design. Thx for the info:)

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I usually feed twice a week..each time removing any uneaten crickets and or remains of crickets the next day...peace..

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Welcome to the joys of keeping tarantulas and the forum

Hopefully, you've already read the "sticky" about caring for a G.rosea at the top of the list

1 A 15 gallon is way too big from an adult G.rosea. let alone a "small" one. Is your T an adult? Even being an adult, a 5 gallon tank is plenty large enough IMHO. Keeping one in too large a tank could make it's finding food pretty difficult

2 You can put several in at a time once a week is fine for her dinner, or if you would rather, just one at time a couple times a week. I try to feed mine in the evenings and take the survivors out about 24 hours later

3 Yes, crickets have even killed Ts before... They will bite them if they find one sick or molting. If you've ever kept crickets for any long periods of time, even if you used to just get them for fishing, you might have noticed they are cannibalistic with their own kind, and won't hesitate to hurt a tarantula if it is in a condition that it can, even if there happens to be food in there for them. About the max I would leave a live one in the same tank is 24 hours. If you prekill them, I wouldn't leave them over 48 hours

Enjoy your new "baby"

khayman918

Arachnopeon
Yeah im starting to notice that a 15 gallon might be a bit large for this guy. I just wanted to give him some space compared to the tiny cages they keep them in at the pet stores;)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its all good khayman,
But thats some super large enclosure for one T.
You'll need, as stated, to put the crickets right in front of the T, or it may never see it again. LOL. Its gotta be taking up alot of space you could be useing for your other T's you'll be getting soon..

Anyway welcome aboard.:D

Ernie

khayman918

Arachnopeon
Ya I guess its off to the pet store again tomorrow to find a little 5 gallon for the little one.

My T is still chewing on the other cricket...and one more of them is still wandering around...I dont trust him;)

oh well...I wonder where the third one went...

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Get a Pet Pal or Kritter Keeper. Or the like.
The whole thing with lid is about $10.00 - $12.00 bucks.
I have 50 of them.
There lite weight, don't break like glass if you drop it, and there the right size. IMO. ;)

E

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She'll feel safer and more secure in a smaller enclosure. Anything more than about ten inches from her hide is a foreign land to her.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I feed my Rosie "Fang" :) 2 times a week, she takes
the food right from the tweezers, just like all of my other T's.

They do go for long periods without food sometimes.
Don't be too worried, like I was :8o

The Sticky post at the top of the forum is excellent
for all of the other info you need.

My Rose Hair (G. rosea) lives in a small critter keeper
and is pretty happy in it:cool:

If you do not have it, get a copy of the Tarantula keepers guide,
it's a really great book to have on hand.

Have fun with your new friend
Ask away if you have anymore questions:D