how long should i wait

spideyboy

Arachnopeon
hi, my female p. ornata molted today. i have a male ready for her that built a sperm web and is ready to go. my question is when is the earliest i can put him in with her? :?

spideyboy

Arachnopeon
ya ill make sure she's well-fed. but as far as the actual time it takes for her reproductive organs to be ready....?

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It will probably take her at minimum a week before being able to eat. Last time it took mine a few weeks to eat.

After she eats I would feed her VERY well for a few days before putting the male with her.

As long as she's hardened up she's good to go. Just depends on if you want her full or hungry.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd wait just as long as you would wait before feeding her. Make sure her fangs are good and hard, and that she has at least had a meal...

I waited almost a month after my female G. rosea molted before giving her the male. I also gave her a cricket or two before each attempt. She did once have a cricket in her mouth parts while mating. I don't know if it helped or made her more aggressive. Either way, the male made it through 6 attempts with one minor wound on the 4th attepmt. But, thats what you get for doing it in a burrow... ;)

Its not a P. ornata, but I thought it might be useful. :)

Good luck!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i'd give her two weeks before feeding, just to be sure. and then feed her really well - some ornata females are really keen on eating the males. i'd give her another two weeks of good meals before giving it a try - thus making it a full month between her molt and the mating attempt. at least you can be sure she is ready this way, even if it means waiting a week or two longer.