How long does DKS take to kill a T?

SnowMonkey

Arachnopeon
I have a lovely young male H. mac that began showing symptoms about a week ago, and now there's no doubt. He's all spastic, doesn't hide anymore. How long does it usually take for DKS to kill a T?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my ornata died fairly quickly, no more than a few days. i caught it the night before it passed. my N incei however, had it for two weeks and managed to molt out of it. it was only about 1/2" then though.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
DKS is more of a neurological disorder which can be a result from many situations like from a fall, pesticides, genetics, disease, etc. so every situation varies. I once had an Avic. that had severe DKS from a fall which I had no choice but to humanely put it down because she had absolutely no chance on survival (she couldn't even walk, drink or eat) but I have heard of Ts that have made it after a molt or two.

Unfortunately this is a very serious situation and I'm sorry that your T is going through this I wish you the best of luck.

cold blood

Staff member
Actually DKS isn't what kills, its merely a symptom of a greater problem...generally its associated with a poisoning, but its not the only cause. DKS is like a runny nose.

Not all ts that show these symptoms die, and how long death takes or recovery takes is up to the individual situation.

Think of it like this, lets say (for the sake of the discussion) its poisoning...well in that case survival, or the length of time before death would be dependent on the significance of the poisoning...I mean I could give someone a small dose of poison daily, and never kill them, or a single large dose that ends life in minutes....everything in between also exists. What happens depends on the cause, and the significance of that cause.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Depends on what's causing the "DKS".
If caused by dehydration, it's not a death sentence.
Duration from toxins, parasites, etc will be variable.

SnowMonkey

Arachnopeon
Thanks y'all. He's on his back now. My other Ts are all doing well. Eating and drinking and whatnot. Poor little guy.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks y'all. He's on his back now. My other Ts are all doing well. Eating and drinking and whatnot. Poor little guy.
Tarantulas do not die on their back. Do not throw him away! He's attempting to molt, which is about the best thing you could ask to happen. The symptoms of DKS usually start to clear up after a molt.

SnowMonkey

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas do not die on their back. Do not throw him away! He's attempting to molt, which is about the best thing you could ask to happen. The symptoms of DKS usually start to clear up after a molt.
This one did. He's on his back and quite dead. No one gets thrown out here, I hang on to the bodies. He doesn't smell yet, so he could be "locked in" to a completely unresponsive body.

cold blood

Staff member
This one did. He's on his back and quite dead. No one gets thrown out here, I hang on to the bodies. He doesn't smell yet, so he could be "locked in" to a completely unresponsive body.
They do if they suffer a fatal fall. Although a t suffering from these symptoms bad can have tendencies to flop onto their backs, I have seen that.

SnowMonkey

Arachnopeon
There was nowhere to fall from, it's a smaller container with a ton of substrate and massive webbing. I figured he just spasmed and jerked while near one of his curved web walls and overturned. He was never a big eater, always scared, and never as "robust" as his sister. He was behind her in molts. She's gorgeous and doing very well, thank goodness. Losing males just isn't as hard as losing females. It's not just that I'm not letting myself get attached, they just seem to have a different personality to my big butt girls. Anyone else think so? I just got three P. metallicas, though, and one of my little males is throwing up threat displays and really making sure he's noticed, lol.