How long do jamie's tarantulas enclosure last?

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How did you get an XL enclosure through her?
I've been dying to get one for a T. stirmi but can't find anywhere and she doesn't respond to msgs.
I bought one last year from her and one on Craigslist. Yea, sometimes they are out of stock since she doesn't have as many XLs made as the other ones.

Cartfish

Arachnopeon
How did you get an XL enclosure through her?
I've been dying to get one for a T. stirmi but can't find anywhere and she doesn't respond to msgs.
Really? I emailed her the other day about the enclosures, she says they are in production and might be a few weeks until they return. You should check again. :)

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I'd also look at Terra Blue professional series or maybe even ZooMed if you can't find the Terra Blue. You'll save some money and the sliding top opening is very practical. Of course, you always want to make sure you species is a display spider that actually will hang out in the open and not just be seen once a year.

TheRuiner

Arachnopeon
I have two of Jamie's 8x8x14's i think is the size, I'm enjoying them so far. The latches are a little tight so some care is needed not to move the entire enclosure when opening it (without any rubber feet on a bookshelf).

One is housing a practically full grown female brachypelma albopilosum who wouldn't be caught dead in her cork hide, and the other I have turned up arboreal style housing an avicularia avicularia. Having a full 360 degree view of white tarantula crap running down the walls is pretty cool.

It is slightly harder to clean then glass but only in my opinion because it can scratch easier then glass, just use non-abrasive wipes.

I didn't even know Jamie sold a cage bigger then this one, i wanted one of her's for my theraphosa stirmi, but reluctantly held out on the tarantulacages.com biggest cage and bought a walmart 20 gallon for now. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for this product.

As for the yellowing and the warping, I can't speak to those effects yet I've had these less then 6 months, BUT, the build quality was mostly impressive and the rounded edges on the acrylic just add to the professional look. i'd buy from her again, i'm looking at getting several 7x7x12's (i think is the size) for some up and coming juvenile terrestrials

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I'd start with a sling as your first tarantula, not an adult. This means either a sling style or juvenile enclosure. Jamies has baginner bundles with everything. Personally, I think that terrestrials are a bit easier to deal with. I'd strongly suggest doing a NW tarantula as your first.

She currently has a beginner bundle with M robustum that looks awfully tempting. With those, you have to remember to keep the temps below 80, preferably below 77 degrees. 70-75 is right because they are heat intolerant. Aside from that, awesome. She has a few other beginner bundles as well on her page. In terms of the awesome factor, this one takes it away from the others hands down in my opinion. It's also better if your home is a bit on the chilly side. Do watch out for the urticating hairs however and research it first. Do not handle them unless its an emergency. A catch cup, lid and paint brush are your friends as they are for all tarantulas actually.

The others in the beginner bundles are great choices as well but tend to be slower growers.

She also has Lasiodora Parahybana slings which are a bit on the small size, but make perhaps the best ideal beginner tarantulas. They are hardy, grow fast, have great appetites and make great display spiders as they get older being out in the open. You will have to upgrade to the adult terrestrial acrylic enclosure in no time with that one!! The only thing is that these spiderlings are under an inch which some feel isn't totally ideal for a beginner. Still, that won't be for long and they are hardy. Just make sure that there is always water in the water dish. Oh, & they get really really big as adults as well!! 8"+ in size is not at all unusual. They aren't really suited for handling but no tarantula should be handled unless its an emergency anyway.

Another neat choice, which is a better size for a beginner is Nhandu coloratovillosus females which are over 1.5" in size, better sized for a beginner. These are feisty tarantulas but you can grow with that spiderling. They aren't part of a bundle so like the LP, you'll have to get the tarantula, the enclosure you want and the feeders as separate items in the same order. It costs a bit more as well.

I haven't had a single problem with any Jamie's juvenile enclosure. I did modify one by adding a feeding port and a nicer vent. You might or might not want to drill or use a soldering iron to put in one small drainage hole so that water won't build up in the substrate which can lead to mold.

Bree24

Arachnosquire
Given that the adult enclosures only cost around $100, I really wouldn’t worry about it. Even if they only lasted 5 years (which they probably last twice that long or more), that’s a pretty cheap price considering that this is basically your only major expense when it comes to keeping Ts. That said, glass it prettier, hardier, and will always last longer. If you really want a display animal and don’t care about the cost, I would do what Marvinxox said and build a DIY lid on a glass aquarium.

Hamiltincolin25

Arachnopeon
If your worried about yellowing go with glass. Now about what T you want to display if recommend most grammostola and brachypelma as they seem to stay out in the open. The c. cyanpubescens will be a amazing display t as they have a web fortress going on and sometimes they have a web that has a easy to look through angle. Now being practical a t is not the greatest display animal as even the ones stated up above molt meaning your looking at a cage of web and dirt for a month-2 months.
Edit: I just saw this is from last year so what did you end up with?

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I have done a load of research. I had another post asking about GBBs as a first. But I will probably go with a curly hair, or pink zebra beauty, or whatever beginner terrestrial T. I prefer to use glass but what enclosures include glass? Exo terras are more for arborials, and I had another post on if I can use an aquarium with the typical reptile wire lid as my enclosure. That would be ideal but heard Ts can get stuck in the wire lid and it isn't good for keeping humidity.
I really want a clear, affordable, enclosure, that lasts decades. I have had suggestions to use hobby lobby display cases and drill holes. I do prefer to not have to do anything DIY.
Will most likely buy my tarantula from my local expo this sunday.
I know not all are display animals, for example fossorial species.

Gbb is my ideal beginner T but unsure if I can handle it's speed as I used to be TERRIFIED of spiders but now I have watched 100s of videos on Ts, but still unsure if I can handle it.

Any help is appreciated.
Imho if it's a long term display, then acrylic may not be the best choice, just wiping acrylic down with a damp cloth will give it fine scratches and these will build up over time creating a less than clear (smokey) view.
Exo Terra low style (or similar), start the sub just below the vents at the front then slope up towards the back, it creates a gradient that can be decorated like a natural embankment, looks effective and reduces height.
If they are available where you are check out the reptizoo brand, these have great features, sliding tops, little feeder door, look at the mini and mini long as well as their low options, I like these better than other mass production enclosure and if I could afford to I would buy these in bulk and would keep everything I own in them.
There is also an array of neat enclosures designed for young terrestrial snakes that tick all those boxes that some T owners swear by.
Don't paint yourself into a corner with plastic tubs, it's 2019 ffs there are more suitable glass enclosures than ever before.
Good luck with the search and don't feel bad about being grilled by some for being a first time owner, it's not rocket science and most of all make this an enjoyable experience for you and your new pet.
Go for bug's, not drugs.

Fade

Arachnosquire
If your worried about yellowing go with glass. Now about what T you want to display if recommend most grammostola and brachypelma as they seem to stay out in the open. The c. cyanpubescens will be a amazing display t as they have a web fortress going on and sometimes they have a web that has a easy to look through angle. Now being practical a t is not the greatest display animal as even the ones stated up above molt meaning your looking at a cage of web and dirt for a month-2 months.
Edit: I just saw this is from last year so what did you end up with?
My enclosures from Jamie's have not discolored in any way.
Imho if it's a long term display, then acrylic may not be the best choice, just wiping acrylic down with a damp cloth will give it fine scratches and these will build up over time creating a less than clear (smokey) view.
Exo Terra low style (or similar), start the sub just below the vents at the front then slope up towards the back, it creates a gradient that can be decorated like a natural embankment, looks effective and reduces height.
If they are available where you are check out the reptizoo brand, these have great features, sliding tops, little feeder door, look at the mini and mini long as well as their low options, I like these better than other mass production enclosure and if I could afford to I would buy these in bulk and would keep everything I own in them.
There is also an array of neat enclosures designed for young terrestrial snakes that tick all those boxes that some T owners swear by.
Don't paint yourself into a corner with plastic tubs, it's 2019 ffs there are more suitable glass enclosures than ever before.
Good luck with the search and don't feel bad about being grilled by some for being a first time owner, it's not rocket science and most of all make this an enjoyable experience for you and your new pet.
Go for bug's, not drugs.
Thanks for everyone's input but this is nearly a year old thread. I currently now have an adult female b.hamorii, female b.albo, and a gbb sling. I tried out a 5.5 gallon aquarium with a plexiglass lid. Just messed up the background. But trial and error is good. Currently housing them in exo terra bredding box, kritter keeper, and the sling is in an amac box.

Willa

Arachnopeon
I have had mine for a few months (large).

Pro:Looks great, excellent at maintaining heat and moisture. Convenient and appropriate size, holds right amount of sub for my juvie b/ albo. Perfect visibility.

Cons: Lid is creaky no matter what I do, lid is warping in, and it scratches whenever I so much as breath on it.

Overall: Nice if you want something pretty and special for a special T or whatever, I wouldn't spend my money on another one. I would look elsewhere or do a DIY if you want a display enclosure, or I have heard Sterlite containers work wonders (though I like seeing my guy every now and again, and even with an active T, it's hard to see through foggy plastic).

Wyoguy069

Arachnopeon
If you want a cage that will last forever try Showcase cages. Downside is they are not good for high humidity species and you need to add substrate and decorations to make sure that your T doesn’t fall. That being said,I have four Jamie’s cages and they are awesome. Humidity is very easy to control and I have all of them inside much larger Showcase cages for temperature control. 3 of my spiders live with my snakes.