how is this enclosure?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As stated, take the rocks out.

I would put another inch or two of substrate just to be safe.

D3v1Lz

Arachnopeon
alright ill do that, is it fine for the coconut fiber to get into the water dish.. cause it does happen.. will it be okay for him to still drink from it?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
alright ill do that, is it fine for the coconut fiber to get into the water dish.. cause it does happen.. will it be okay for him to still drink from it?
That is fine. They can still get their moisture from it. Half my Ts cover their dish up with substrate anyway, so it's normal.

D3v1Lz

Arachnopeon
alright thanks. i hope that my t will finally be happy in its enclosure..

jt39565

Arachnoknight
My G. pulchra fills her dish on a daily basis, and my Aphonepelma does it when he is in premolt.

Blackbeard

Arachnopeon
Substrate in the water shouldn't be a big deal as has been stated.
I do have several T's who make a habbit of pooping in the water bowl or droping boluses in it.
I clean that up asap for obvious reasons. ;)

(What plural should I use for bolus? Boli or boluses?)

Last edited:

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
My G. pulchra fills her dish on a daily basis, and my Aphonepelma does it when he is in premolt.
My Aphonepelma also does this . I'll clean out her dish and within an hour she has it filled with substrate again .

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Enclosure looks fine friend. I have a question though for XY or Chris. Why "Take the rocks out and that'll be fine?" I have seen that on a few other postings too and was wondering why the rocks should come out. I have a few in one of my enclosures and if I need to remove them I wont to make sure I am educated as to why. Thanks

Sonya

Arachnopeon
If there is rocks in tarantula's enclosure, there is always risk that tarantula burrow into the substrate and rocks fall onto the animal. But in that case, I don't really see the reason why the rocks should be taken away because there isn't enougt substrade for tunnels. Another reason could be that tarantula can hurt leg/legs if it crawls on the rocks and they move by accident. Those rocks looks quite smooth so I don't think there is a chance that tarantula could hurt itself with them. If the rocks are sharp and heavy then there is bigger risk for injuries.

If you like to put more substrate in the terrarium, then you should consider taking off the rocks...just in case.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it has been mentioned to add more substrate; but there should only be around a legspan and a half of open space between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure, to help prevent injury from falls. This would also be a reason to remove the rocks.

I would love to see a pic of the enclosure when it is finished! :)