how is H. maculata in terms of care?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hear this species venom is fairly potent and they are reclusive, but also very beautiful and affordable.

is this one especially difficult to manage or are they fairly similar to other african baboons?

bigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes it is a beautiful when it is a female b/c they are the ones who have the white color males are darker. I bought my sling for $8 and it is very similar to other african baboons = pet hole and not difficult to manage.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm lucky if I see the legs of my adult female once every 6 months.

I occasionally pick up the entire container and check the bottom to see if she's still alive (but at this point, it's all webbed up :wall: ). However, if you go with one of Martin's Haploplema tanks, you can really improve visibility of the species and not be super stressful to the spider.

Once they are properly settled into burrows, I'd say they're almost easier to manage than african baboon's. They're not likely to be startled (unless you drop a cricket right on top of it), come flying out of the burrow and run after something..or out of the vial.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, my girl too, never see her,only once in awhlie,but when she is out..beautiful, otherwise pretty easy to maintain:clap: they can be quick,and the venom yes it is strong. just have to be careful:)

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
like everyone says... easy care. honestly, i think they're immortal.

if you provide more than an inch of substrate, even adults will burrow (or at least mine would). i put a thick branch in my female's tank, and she lived under its base for a while. she's never used the half-log i secure to the side, near the top of the cage. now she's living in a web tube on the side of the branch.

sometimes she comes out late at night (like my 2 m. robustum and h. lividum do), but generally she's playing "ninja".

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They can be controlled by a flashlight pretty easily for maintenance.

Bulletproof, pretty much like everyone says.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Burrows? I've never had an H. maculata burrow. They are arboreal spiders and should be housed as such. My big female that I had made an elaborate web in the corner of an exo terra tank, but she came out at night all the time. The mature male was also out and about all the time. The four slings I have now are all living arboreally, even though there is enough dirt if they choose to burrow. None of them hang out even near the substrate.

But they are pretty easy to care for. I kept my adults with a water dish, things to climb on and attach webbing to, peat moss/vermiculite substrate, that's about it. They are darn fast and can be quite defensive, though I never saw any defensive behaviour while they were just chilling in their houses, but once I needed to pack them up, wow they were pretty darned mad lol!

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Burrows? I've never had an H. maculata burrow. They are arboreal spiders and should be housed as such.
Do you have pictures of your setups?

My little guy also burrows even though he’s in an arboreal set up and I would like some ideas to get him off the ground. Thanx.

Here is my set up.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm lucky if I see the legs of my adult female once every 6 months.

I occasionally pick up the entire container and check the bottom to see if she's still alive (but at this point, it's all webbed up :wall: ). However, if you go with one of Martin's Haploplema tanks, you can really improve visibility of the species and not be super stressful to the spider.

Once they are properly settled into burrows, I'd say they're almost easier to manage than african baboon's. They're not likely to be startled (unless you drop a cricket right on top of it), come flying out of the burrow and run after something..or out of the vial.
what are Martin's Haploplema tanks?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Do you have pictures of your setups?

My little guy also burrows even though he’s in an arboreal set up and I would like some ideas to get him off the ground. Thanx.
I have no pics of my sling setups, but let me search around a bit and see if I can find pics of my adult set ups.

EDIT: Okay here are some pics I found.

This is the female in the Exo Terra tank, this was her first day in there. I hadn't had a chance to add more things to it, but I had planned on it. Then she made herself the web you see in the following pics so I never bothered. I rarely ever saw her near the ground, unless she was chasing crickets or getting the occasional drink. Usually she just hung out near her web like in the last pic. The web was attached to the half log.

This is the males house, he also didn't spend much time on the ground.

Last edited:

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Exactly what I do, too. Any ideas on making the cap look more natural?
I thought about taking polished river rocks and drilling them out like a bowl but then I thought they might be too heavy and knock a spider silly if they fell so I abandoned the idea.

Maybe you can try hot gluing some moss to the side.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you Laura :) Your H. macs are beautiful. I’ll take your enclosure in to account when I get more of these guys.

The wine corks are a great idea…I love that….god knows I go through enough wine and have a never ending supply of corks :rolleyes:

Steph

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
where do you get a tank like that, with the doors that open in front. are they expensive?

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeap! Lorgakor is a genious. I love that idea.

See my juvenile H. maculata terrarium :D

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Lol thanks guys! Though I must admit the original idea came from Immortal Sin who used wine corks for her baby Avic slings to climb on. I just took it a little further and made hides for terrestrials out of them and then the climbs for larger arboreals.

xBurntBytheSunx - If you are referring to the tank in my photo, then it is an Exo Terra terrarium. I bought it from a local petstore, and yes they are expensive. That is the smallest one being 12x12x12", it cost me around $60.00 with the taxes. And that's why I only have one lol!