how heat senseitive is M.mesomelas

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:confused: i keep M.robustum and i have the opportunity to acquire a few of these guys(M.mesomelas)...i have read numerous posts and care sheets stating that these guys are in fact heat sensitive but i also know a few people on the boards actually have them..soo im not looking for the book answer but from actual keepers of this T....

i live in southern cali and it does get in triple digits but i do have AC...though when im not home i dont use it and it might get in the 90's plus but could easily put them in a closet (which is always cooler) like some of my other t's....soo i'm looking for advice??? if i should even acquire these guys? because unlike some other heat sensitive t's i own, mortality isn't mentioned if the temp gets above 80*

thanks in advance wayne

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:confused: i keep M.robustum and i have the opportunity to acquire a few of these guys(M.mesomelas)...i have read numerous posts and care sheets stating that these guys are in fact heat sensitive but i also know a few people on the boards actually have them..soo im not looking for the book answer but from actual keepers of this T....

i live in southern cali and it does get in triple digits but i do have AC...though when im not home i dont use it and it might get in the 90's plus but could easily put them in a closet (which is always cooler) like some of my other t's....soo i'm looking for advice??? if i should even acquire these guys? because unlike some other heat sensitive t's i own, mortality isn't mentioned if the temp gets above 80*

thanks in advance wayne

I think as long as they have the biggest water dish you can put in their enclosure w/o the dish taking up ALL the space they should be fine...If they are burrowers they it will be fine if you give em a lot of substrate they will burrow and it will be cooler in the burrow.....Lets see what others have to say.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think as long as they have the biggest water dish you can put in their enclosure w/o the dish taking up ALL the space they should be fine...If they are burrowers they it will be fine if you give em a lot of substrate they will burrow and it will be cooler in the burrow.....Lets see what others have to say.
Wrong!!!

Sorry, I couldnt resist ;)

IME, You need to keep them in the low 70sF or cooler. I had one die last year that I kept in my scorp room which stays 80F+. I am now keeping my others in the living room which hovers around 70F and they are doing fine.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i kept mine in the same room as my others, but i keep them all at room temp which is usually around 73-75 in my house, so that could easily be the reason. I find that all my T's do fine in low to mid 70's. Maybe they grow a little slower? Havent really noticed it yet though if thats the case, and all are/have thrived

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wrong!!!

Sorry, I couldnt resist ;)

IME, You need to keep them in the low 70sF or cooler. I had one die last year that I kept in my scorp room which stays 80F+. I am now keeping my others in the living room which hovers around 70F and they are doing fine.
wow thats good to know...i guess they might be out of the question now till i can deicate more time to them..wow that sucks:wall: they are awsome looking...........

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What about M. velvetosoma? I mean, their natural habitat is in ecuador and it gets warm there.

I could buy a sub-adult female pretty cheap, but there's no way I can keep my apartment below 75 F. Normally it's around 77-82.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, it gets warm there, but they stay well underground where it's a lot cooler... i gave one to a friend of mine as a birthday present and she died last summer :( so keeping them relatively cool is certainly a good idea.