How does ordering Ts work?

GiuseppeCharcodes

Arachnopeon
I'll be off work the next few days, and one of the things I wanted to start focusing on was putting together an enclosure for a C. cyaneopubescens. I bought my first T from a local pet store, but I haven't seen any near me that have had this species. I've seen the ads on this site for several different vendors that carry and ship them, but like the title reads, how exactly does that work? I don't suppose they drop a package containing a live animal on your doorstep- not ideal, even without the kid running around in the apartment next door. I don't suppose I could have that same local pet store do the ordering for me?

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
It works like any other order you place. Depending on the temperature, the animals are sent in styrofoam with a heat pack. If you want to know how the packaging is designed in detail, I recommend YouTube - there are endless "important" people who want to show it and themselves.
I would recommend you to order from growers, not commercial shops. They are more expensive and more of a hurdle in the hobby than support!

I can recommend this, although here too the amount of advertising is slowly overtaking the amount of information...

Last edited by a moderator:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
It's easy. Order spider, spider comes to your house. Unbox spider.

Just make sure you are going to be home on the day it's delivered so your new buddy isn't sat on the doorstep / taken back to the depot.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
You may also have the option of having it held for pickup at the nearest FedEx hub. This is a good idea if the weather is too hot or cold for them to be outside and you may not be home for delivery.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'll be off work the next few days, and one of the things I wanted to start focusing on was putting together an enclosure for a C. cyaneopubescens. I bought my first T from a local pet store, but I haven't seen any near me that have had this species. I've seen the ads on this site for several different vendors that carry and ship them, but like the title reads, how exactly does that work? I don't suppose they drop a package containing a live animal on your doorstep- not ideal, even without the kid running around in the apartment next door. I don't suppose I could have that same local pet store do the ordering for me?
When properly packaged, tarantulas do just fine in the mail. We generally recommend not ordering from sites that primarily sell reptiles, as their tarantulas tend not to be packaged well, and it's anyone's guess whether you will actually get the species you ordered. Many of the common dealers -- as well as individual hobbyist-sellers have reviews here.

It's best to be there in person to receive the package (so that it's not left out in extreme heat or cold or susceptible to porch pirates). In fact, many live arrival guarantees are only valid if you are there to receive delivery.

If you can't be home for delivery, you could have the package held at the local distribution center or deliver to a P.O. Box that is in a climate-controlled building.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
You may also have the option of having it held for pickup at the nearest FedEx hub. This is a good idea if the weather is too hot or cold for them to be outside and you may not be home for delivery.
I have this done for all my shipments. There's a certain peace of mind knowing your package is held in a more or less climate controlled building instead of being on an hot/cold truck for a period of time being jostled around.
dont forget to add in the extra 50 bux or so for priority shipping
Yep, which is why it's smart to save up and order a few at a time to help defray these costs.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
When buying online, it's basically like any other place to order online. Just click on what you want, pay for it and the additional costs of shipping, and wait for a confirmation as to when your order will be shipped. Just to be sure to buy from a truly reputable place. Do proper research on the website with review searching and Youtube unboxings to get a gist on how that online retail/dealer works overall.

Tarantula dealers online will usually have a ship date as to when they will ship out your order. Usually it's on the days between Monday-Wednesday as those are usually the ship days that I see online. I highly encourage you to read the TOS (terms of service) and FAQ's (frequently asked questions) just to be ensured on what there rules or gist's are.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Before actually giving someone money, it is best to contact the seller by whatever means available, to confirm that they actually have the species they list for sale and at the cost they are selling it for. Do not under any circumstances buy live tarantulas from a web site like you would from Amazon or any other retailer without first making contact with the seller! The tarantula community is small and generally trustworthy, but sometimes life gets in the way of their business and the sellers can become completely unresponsive and not fulfill your order. It's best to contact the seller first to make sure they are responsive and show that your business is a priority before committing to a transaction. Always keep in mind you are buying live animals, as opposed to mass produced junk Amazon sells, and a seller's stock could change at any moment.

Also, stay away from any kind of "pre sales" or "import lists." If a seller doesn't actually have what you want in their possession ready to ship out, don't send them money!