how do you tell em apart?!?

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i always get confused with the black & orange mexican Ts...

i can get the obvious ones: flame knee, red rump, pink, and golden redrump... i can usually tell a red knee...

but there are a few i just cant get:

bloodleg
fireleg
redleg
orange beauty

any tips on telling these guys apart?

oh, and by the way, does anyone know why the bloodleg isnt a brachypelma?

kellygirl

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
bloodleg and flameleg are the hardest to tell apart IMO. I've always thought they looked very similar as well, but when you see both of them, you can just kinda tell they're not the same kind of T. I find that the bloodleg is much more "muted" than the flameleg.

Orange beauty is just a brighter version of B. smithi if I remember right.

And Red leg is the one that's legs are all black with one section being red (forgot which one though)

And bloodleg isn't Brachypelma because it's an Aphonopelma ;P

Scott

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
bah

I guess I should watch this thread. IM into asians and africans T(old world T rules) :D

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if by orange beauty...

You mean B baumgarteni... then it isn't just brighter but the orange extends further down the legs than in a smithi. Otherwise Scott is pretty much dead on.
Phil

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Redleg (B. emilia) isn't really red, but more of a rust, and has a distinctive black triangle on the carapace - one of the most beautiful Ts in my book. The "red" is only on the tibia segment of the leg.

The fireleg (B. boehmi) and the bloodleg (A. bicoloratum) are patterned identically, but the fireleg is a much brighter orange-red compared to the more earth tone orange of the bloodleg. Their "red" is on the patella, tibia, and extending onto the metatarsus but not the tarsus. The carapaces look different as they're two different genera as well.

The orange beauty is similar to the bloodleg/fireleg in pattern but the orange is almost the same orange-red as B. smithi, and the carapace is black instead of orange like with the boehmi and bicoloratum. The metatarsus only has a hint of red as well.