How do you tell a mature female nymph dubia from an adult female?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How do you tell a mature female dubia nymph from an adult female if both never grow wings? They look the same to me.

EShell

Arachnopeon
The nymphs can be sexed by examining their last few abdominal segments on the ventral (under) side. Females have very broad segments, while males have extremely narrow segments. Easy to tell once you've compared a few.

During their terminal molt, both sexes pass from the dull brown/tan nymph stage into shiny, mostly black adults. Males are thinner and gain wings (but cannot fly), while females are larger, heavier bodied and merely have vestigial wings (stubs).

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess I have a last instar nymph, it's got that sandy brown color mixed with some black, but it's very pale colored around the edge of it;s body, so not sure if it recently molted or has odd coloration. Have to get a photo, but it's definetly a female.

Last edited:

Pssh

Arachnoknight
That is an adult. She has the wing stubs I was talking about. And she is shiny.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is an adult. She has the wing stubs I was talking about. And she is shiny.
Wow! She is so pale than for an adult, that is her true color in the photo no dust or dirt on her. She has no red or orange markings either like the picture above. All I know is she is hungry, and my male dubia want nothing to do with her right now.

EShell

Arachnopeon
They will be pretty pale when freshly molted. The lighter colors on yours should go to golden brown/orange and the darker areas get blacker.