How do you keep your containers situated?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Help. I rearranged my T's and I have them all lined along this shelf. Looks great...ten containers in a row (Securely attached to the wall). Well, today I noticed that my L. parahybana has a bald butt. Very bald.It never did this before. So, I figured it must be stressed from having another tarantula on either side of it that are clearly visible? I have now moved its container to the end of my row and put a piece of black construction paper between it and the b. smithi container.
You think that is what happened? I suppose I should do that between all the containers now.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep my pink toe and my H. maculata next to ewach other and not a problem so far but if one develops I'll let ya know

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
My Argentinian horned frog once tried to eat one of my G.rosea and got stuck to the side of his enclosure for his troubles. There can definitely be stress issues with placing enclosures side-by-side. That being said, I think they are pretty rare.

Cheers,
Dave

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
......must be stressed from having another tarantula on either side of it ..........?

Very possible
The paper dividers are a good idea, I do that to:)
Could your T be ready to molt?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well, it is a molting machine..

and yes, it could possibly be ready to molt, except that its bare butt is more of the "i will show you, here take that..*hairkickkickkick"* kind of baldness, and it is a very light color in the barespot now.
I feel badly for causing it stress but I suppose it could be worse.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
honestly, my G. rosea has been as sweet as pie but yesterday i went in there after handling another T, not washing my hands and having it visible to her.

for the first time she leg-twacked me.

i know for a fact it can cause stress with reptiles so i wouldn't see why it couldn't with Ts especially considering their cannibalism habits.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have many kritter keepers with t's in them stacked on top of each other and right next to each other, never noticed any problems with keeping them that way. my lizards and frogs go nuts trying to get to the crickets in the t's enclosures though, so I sometimes block the herps/amphibs enclosure with cardboard so they cant see until the prey items are gone.
Ed

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have no problems with mine side by side...

i too have troubles with the occasionaly WHAP! from a frog trying to get the crickets.. :)

i dunno.

i ended up just making one room be the T room -- humidity and temp controlled too :)

peace dave

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Here is the "new" arrangement

I took out the dividers, let's see how they like it.

You can tell it's my sons room, posters on the walls,
a little crayon on the dresser:eek:

Attachments

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep them side by side and my tarantulas don't even seem to notice each other. My bearded dragons on the other hand go crazy over one anothers crickets.

Attachments

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
T's have poor vision, so I don't believe keeping them next to each other requires visual dividers. Mine are all fine.

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with D-man...if a T gets nervous by presence of nearby T, its because it can sense its vibrations, not because it can see it...just a paper curtain cant work at all..

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Spideys1969,
All I can say is WOW!
How many critters do you have?
I bet feeding time is fun=D
At the moment we only have 10 T's:)

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
perhaps then..

just the relocation itself, from one room to another, and NOT by being next to each other..caused the stress?

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Very possible:)
I think all of us worry too much about our pets sometimes.
I know I do:)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nobody in my collection pays a blind bit of attention to their "neighbours"

Even when I had my 2 Baboons in a split single tank they never appeared to even see each other.

TarantuChimp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, shedloads of the little critters.

your rooms must be baking, those of u who dont have as many as spidey, how do u heat your tanks? same style with a heat mat?

NightCrawler

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by TarantuChimp

your rooms must be baking, those of u who dont have as many as spidey, how do u heat your tanks? same style with a heat mat?
I use a couple of ordinary 40W lightbulbs

spideys1969

Arachnopeon
to sunny......247 spiders.....107 different species......and for heating.....way overrated....room temp....about 70-72