How do you house your green bottle blues?

ImSupposedToLoveYou

Arachnopeon
I'm getting a 5" DLS GBB and I purchased a terrestrial Tarantula Crib for her. I bought a big one, the XL. It's 18x12x12. How should I set this up? I'm considering how much substrate to put in. I know they're semi arboreal, and I don't want her to have a long way to fall. I have a canopy top that I could put on it, and that will add 7 inches at the tip. I just worry that a fall could hurt my little buddy. I will also add a ton of anchor points. Also, what kind of substrate do you use? I know they can be picky about their substrate.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It’s unfortunate aquarium makers don’t offer a plexiglass lid .

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
dirt filled up so there isnt more than 1.5 dls fall from the top. a hide with an aquarium plant planted by the hide and water dish on other side of its cage. never heard of them being picky about the dirt in its cage it just needs to be packed down not loose either way everything and anything will get covered by a thick layer of webbing in time

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm getting a 5" DLS GBB and I purchased a terrestrial Tarantula Crib for her. I bought a big one, the XL. It's 18x12x12. How should I set this up? I'm considering how much substrate to put in. I know they're semi arboreal, and I don't want her to have a long way to fall. I have a canopy top that I could put on it, and that will add 7 inches at the tip. I just worry that a fall could hurt my little buddy. I will also add a ton of anchor points. Also, what kind of substrate do you use? I know they can be picky about their substrate.
I used a KK. It’s a terrestrial species. I use coco fiber. They aren’t picky at all.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I house mine between 1.5-2x the dls with multi levels. This is still a heavier bodied terrestrial without the big arboreal feet. Wouldn’t go more than 2x max.

ImSupposedToLoveYou

Arachnopeon
I house mine between 1.5-2x the dls with multi levels. This is still a heavier bodied terrestrial without the big arboreal feet. Wouldn’t go more than 2x max.

Looks good! Thanks for the reply!

I used a KK. It’s a terrestrial species. I use coco fiber. They aren’t picky at all.
That makes me feel better! I'll go with cocofiber, then! :)

dirt filled up so there isnt more than 1.5 dls fall from the top. a hide with an aquarium plant planted by the hide and water dish on other side of its cage. never heard of them being picky about the dirt in its cage it just needs to be packed down not loose either way everything and anything will get covered by a thick layer of webbing in time
Thank you! 😊

Thank you!

cold blood

Staff member
House them just like any terrestrial species, just add more anchor points.

"ImSupposedToLoveYou, post: 3398731, member: 179004"]
I know they're semi arboreal
Theyre not...they are terrestrial
I don't want her to have a long way to fall.
No, that would be bad.
I just worry that a fall could hurt my little buddy
it could
I will also add a ton of anchor points
perfect
Also, what kind of substrate do you use?
Substrate is keepers' personal choice...there are lots of good substrates that can be used from top soil to peat moss to coco fiber or any of the commercially available ones like eco earth or jungle mix for example.
I know they can be picky about their substrate.
Theyre not...the very notion of that is absurd.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
It’s unfortunate aquarium makers don’t offer a plexiglass lid .
I bought one from a gecko company that's supposed to be used to convert a 10gallon to arboreal, but it works great so far as a terrestrial tarantula lid. Good ventilation and looks better than anything I could make. It has ventilation slits instead of holes, which I don't love, but they're far enough from the edge that my spider hasn't shown much interest in exploring them.

ImSupposedToLoveYou

Arachnopeon
I bought one from a gecko company that's supposed to be used to convert a 10gallon to arboreal, but it works great so far as a terrestrial tarantula lid. Good ventilation and looks better than anything I could make. It has ventilation slits instead of holes, which I don't love, but they're far enough from the edge that my spider hasn't shown much interest in exploring them.
Do you have any info about where you got them? :) I could always cover the ventilation slits and drill my own holes