How do you herp in the Arizona Fall season?

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Hello all! I’m using my well deserved days off to camp out here in the Prescott national forest again! I was here just about 2-3 weeks ago and saw many amazing critters but this time I can only find wolf spiders mainly and typical creek dwellers. Where /when should I be looking? It’s still reaching The mid 70s in the middle of the day and the sunshine is warm. I would assume this would be the prime time to look since it’s so cold at night when I would typically call prime time but I’m not sure. I would really like to spot a tarantula like I posted earlier or a mantis would be awesome! Also keeping my eyes peeled for snakes by the creek that would be also be awesome!

Attachments

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
5 minutes after posting that I caught a garter snake! I nearly stepped on it while checking out a sign about restricted mining claims. Biggest garter snake I’ve ever seen but I’m used the the backyard variety. I’m gonna let him warm up in the sun inside my jacket as long as he pleases but he can always leave :)

Attachments

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Don’t let him musk ya. Stinky lil things
No wonder the 3rd google result is what do garter snakes “smell like” 😂 so far so good! I’ve handled him twice other than the time I caught him and I haven’t noticed anything yet! He’s still in my jacket and I’m about to go look for a snack for him after I get a snack myself!

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Hello all! I’m using my well deserved days off to camp out here in the Prescott national forest again! I was here just about 2-3 weeks ago and saw many amazing critters but this time I can only find wolf spiders mainly and typical creek dwellers. Where /when should I be looking? It’s still reaching The mid 70s in the middle of the day and the sunshine is warm. I would assume this would be the prime time to look since it’s so cold at night when I would typically call prime time but I’m not sure. I would really like to spot a tarantula like I posted earlier or a mantis would be awesome! Also keeping my eyes peeled for snakes by the creek that would be also be awesome!
If it goes below 40 at night there aren’t going to be any mantids. 70’s in the day sounds good though.

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
I was actually about to ask if he got musked yet. Growing up, I never caught one that didn't! Lol
Haha oddly enough he seems to like me! I upgraded him to the backpack suite full of all my dirty clothes and a water bowl 🤣 hope this isn’t bad! He will definitely be removed when I leave tomorrow but I’m giving him a good time I feel like. I handled him once more in between and neither he or I have started to stink! Well besides not taking a shower for 3 days haha!
If it goes below 40 at night there aren’t going to be any mantids. 70’s in the day sounds good though.
Where do they go when it gets too cold? I can only assume really thick bushes or rock crevices. And where should I be looking in the middle of the day? I’ve been checking bushes and low trees for mantids. I’ve seen a few holes that look like they could be tarantulas but no luck trying to get one to eat lol. Atleast in the warmer parts of the day. Maybe they are out and about.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Haha oddly enough he seems to like me! I upgraded him to the backpack suite full of all my dirty clothes and a water bowl 🤣 hope this isn’t bad! He will definitely be removed when I leave tomorrow but I’m giving him a good time I feel like. I handled him once more in between and neither he or I have started to stink! Well besides not taking a shower for 3 days haha!

Where do they go when it gets too cold? I can only assume really thick bushes or rock crevices. And where should I be looking in the middle of the day? I’ve been checking bushes and low trees for mantids. I’ve seen a few holes that look like they could be tarantulas but no luck trying to get one to eat lol. Atleast in the warmer parts of the day. Maybe they are out and about.
They are seasonal creatures. It gets cold, they die. Ooths hatch in spring, best time to look is may/June because they will be around L5 and plentiful.

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
They are seasonal creatures. It gets cold, they die. Ooths hatch in spring, best time to look is may/June because they will be around L5 and plentiful.
I’m gonna start making notes on this forests ecosystem. I think that would help me a lot in the future! I just remembered 6-8 years ago the park ranger told me the tadpoles growing in the creek were endangered and now I don’t see any and I’m pretty sure it was the same time of year during deer hunting season on one of my first hunts. These are things I would like to keep track of!

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Also I forgot mantids only live about a year, duh this is the time they would die *facepalm* lol I’m getting there slowly!

What time of year do ootheca hatch?

Last edited:

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Garter snakes actually are a really cool species. Most of us reptile guys caught and kept them as our first snakes. I can remember countless times being bitten and musked by them. Seems like you found a calm one

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Garter snakes actually are a really cool species. Most of us reptile guys caught and kept them as our first snakes. I can remember countless times being bitten and musked by them. Seems like you found a calm one
That’s really cool and so is he! I wish I had a place to keep him or I totally would. But I live with my dad still and don’t have enough space 🥲 plus I bought a baby sand boa last week as my first snake!

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I'm not condoning keeping wild caught snakes, but 30 or so yrs ago most people did. That was about your best option. Nowadays, people do breed them and I'd definitely recommend buying a healthy captive bred specimen if you decide you really want a garter;)

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Also I forgot mantids only live about a year, duh this is the time they would die *facepalm* lol I’m getting there slowly!

What time of year do ootheca hatch?
They hatch early spring usually, when all the other bugs are coming back out so they have food.