How do you get 1000 slings into separate containers without going insane? Explain this to me.

spidermanthe1

Arachnopeon
I've been reading multiple breeding guides for T albopilosus and apparently I've got to get 1000 spiderlings into separate containers after the first molt.

Can someone explain how you do this in what I'm assuming is a day without going insane?

cold blood

Staff member
albo sacs aren't that large.....the 3-500 range is more realistic.

Its not something you will need to do all at once in one sitting. Take the week before you pull ...like when you start to see them blacken, and in your spare time, bit by bit, fill the enclosures....by the time they molt, you will be close to done if not done......then, once they molt, you can again take 2-4 days to place them in cups. I do this with a spoon...it may start out tedious, but you will get good quick. I place the incubator in a large cooler in case any escape...a few will, but not as many as you might expect....those become isolated and easier to pin down and get housed.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I've been reading multiple breeding guides for T albopilosus and apparently I've got to get 1000 spiderlings into separate containers after the first molt.

Can someone explain how you do this in what I'm assuming is a day without going insane?
Why oh why did you want to pair T. albopilosus to begin with?

I hope you have alot of people wanting them.

I couldn't even give my mature male T. albo's away for free, no breeder wants to deal with that many slings.

Anyways I hope you have luck.

Last edited:

spidermanthe1

Arachnopeon
Why oh why did you want to pair T. albopilosus to begin with?

I hope you have alot of people wanting them.

I couldn't even give my mature male T. albo's away for free, no breeder wants rmto deal with that many slings.

Anyways I hope you have luck.
It's my first breeding project and they're my favorite Tarantula. I like avic avic a lot too though. Would that be a better idea?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
It's my first breeding project and they're my favorite Tarantula. I like avic avic a lot too though. Would that be a better idea?
Well...I guess congratz on a successful sack.

Any Avicularia is a better solution. T. albo's produce alot of eggs and I mean alot. Avics produce way less and are more in demand.

You'll be in a race to try and find homes for them before they require bigger enclosures and you start to run out of room.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes! If you’re 100% sure of the species and Morphotype too!!! No one wants FrankenTs!!

smaller sacs

albo don’t have 1000, 500 max all it takes is time!

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire

First off as others pointed out T albopilosus don't produce so many babies. This number is more common in things like L parahybana.

Second off all, you don't necessarily have to do it all at once. For example, you can prepare the vials that you'll be keeping the slings in over several days while waiting for the molt. Separating the slings could also be done over a couple days or you could have someone else help you with it.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

Seriously though, this is one of those aspects that a lot of would-be breeders glance over as soon as they do some back-of-the-napkin math for their new get-rich-quick scheme consisting of breeding LP's lol. Breeding tarantulas isn't easy, there's A LOT more work involved then pair, pull eggsack, get paid.

So, you have two options here. The first is to make 1000 sling enclosures by getting 1000 deli cups, then poking/melting 6000+ ventilation holes, filling them up with substrate, and then meticulously placing one sling in each pot, all the while making sure the other 999 still in the incubator don't all decide to bolt for it. IMHO, with a readily available, over-produced species in the hobby that averages more than 200 eggs per clutch, this isn't the best approach (unless you really, REALLY like the species and are willing to raise 200+ up to adulthood).

I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but this is common practice among breeders working with the more prolific species that isn't openly talked about. Separate out however many you believe you can realistically trade/sell/care for individually and then divide the rest up between several larger enclosures and keep them communally (aka battle royale). You'll still be feeding these communal growouts, but there will inevitably be some cannibalism as nature takes it's course, leaving you with the strongest specimens for the hobby. It's not pretty, I'm sure someone will label it as cruel, but it's nature.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

Seriously though, this is one of those aspects that a lot of would-be breeders glance over as soon as they do some back-of-the-napkin math for their new get-rich-quick scheme consisting of breeding LP's lol. Breeding tarantulas isn't easy, there's A LOT more work involved then pair, pull eggsack, get paid.

So, you have two options here. The first is to make 1000 sling enclosures by getting 1000 deli cups, then poking/melting 6000+ ventilation holes, filling them up with substrate, and then meticulously placing one sling in each pot, all the while making sure the other 999 still in the incubator don't all decide to bolt for it. IMHO, with a readily available, over-produced species in the hobby that averages more than 200 eggs per clutch, this isn't the best approach (unless you really, REALLY like the species and are willing to raise 200+ up to adulthood).

I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but this is common practice among breeders working with the more prolific species that isn't openly talked about. Separate out however many you believe you can realistically trade/sell/care for individually and then divide the rest up between several larger enclosures and keep them communally (aka battle royale). You'll still be feeding these communal growouts, but there will inevitably be some cannibalism as nature takes it's course, leaving you with the strongest specimens for the hobby. It's not pretty, I'm sure someone will label it as cruel, but it's nature.
No hate at all, I've actually read in the past from some breeders they will euthanize some of the eggs to cut down on the quantity.

T. albopilosus is a prime example.

Only a breeder that has a large clientele base whether from reputation, online store or physical store or all three could have success selling those kind of quantities.

That or sell in bulk at wholesale to a vendor.

Either way for myself I will never pair T's. If I ever decide to attempt it I will give most away free and hope there are takers. Only with particular T's that have few eggs like a C. versicolor

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
No hate at all, I've actually read in the past from some breeders they will euthanize some of the eggs to cut down on the quantity.

Only a breeder that has a large clientele base whether from reputation, online store or physical store or all three could have success selling those kind of quantities.

Either way for myself I will never pair T's. If I ever decide to attempt it I will give most away free and hope there are takers. Only with particular T's that have few eggs like a C. versicolor
I have recently paired C versi (again). 2 sacs in close proximity.
#1 sac 147 (146 made it to L1) - pic 1
#2 sac estimate approx 120 awaiting for L1 moult - pic 2
Comparatively speaking yes they are "fewer". The set up I give them is a sling pot, 1.5mm holes drilled for ventilation, sub, moss and a coffee stirer for anchor points. Still takes time but I prepare the pots in advance and teamsferred all 146 into their individual set up in less than 30 mins.

Hope that helps if you decide to try C versi. 👍

Incidentally, my last T albo (nicuraguan) was 440 so I am with others in the 3 to 4 hundred rather than up to 1k
20230521_185516.jpg 20230526_152551.jpg

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I have recently paired C versi (again). 2 sacs in close proximity.
#1 sac 147 (146 made it to L1) - pic 1
#2 sac estimate approx 120 awaiting for L1 moult - pic 2
Comparatively speaking yes they are "fewer". The set up I give them is a sling pot, 1.5mm holes drilled for ventilation, sub, moss and a coffee stirer for anchor points. Still takes time but I prepare the pots in advance and teamsferred all 146 into their individual set up in less than 30 mins.

Hope that helps if you decide to try C versi. 👍

Incidentally, my last T albo (nicuraguan) was 440 so I am with others in the 3 to 4 hundred rather than up to 1k
View attachment 446386 View attachment 446387
Wow!!! I never heard of someone getting that many slings out of a C. versicolor sac. I've always read the majority get in the 30's amount of slings.

Go you 🙂

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

I’d certainly like some free ones haha, these pet stores and online one want like $40 + for any sized sling .
If anything what happened to these cheap affordable species , they keep getting rarer ?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I’d certainly like some free ones haha, these pet stores and online one want like $40 + for any sized sling .
If anything what happened to these cheap affordable species , they keep getting rarer ?
It's not all vendors faults. Those that hold the license to import are subject to the cost to import on top of what the tarantulas cost. Then a markup has to happen so the vendor makes something in return.

However.....there are those that price gouge which I do not approve of or will even buy from. It is what it is, the U.S. used to be all about capitalism.

I would love to know what the cost to import is from each importing location. For my own knowledge to understand what the U.S. is charging importers.

That's if I'm even understanding this correctly.

spidermanthe1

Arachnopeon
I'm in good with a reptile store that only buys from local breeders. I know he won't buy all of them but I plan on trying to sell bulk to the exotic pet stores in the area.