How do you deal with a burowing T during a move?

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
My G. rosea has dug her self quite a spider cave about 9" deep and very open inside. She never seems to come out when I am around so removing her before the move may prove difficult. My big worry is a cave in. when It comes down to crunch time should I just leave her or dig her up?

Attachments

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Leave her, she got in she will get out. It looks like the substrate is holding up well in that picture, unless you shake the container or disturb it manually , the burrow should be fine.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I hope it stays together but the move is about 75km down some bumpy country roads and my big old truck dosen't have the softist ride as of now i am hoping that I can get her in a little kritter keeper for the move but that all hinges on me catching her topside for a drink

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hope it stays together but the move is about 75km down some bumpy country roads and my big old truck dosen't have the softist ride as of now i am hoping that I can get her in a little kritter keeper for the move but that all hinges on me catching her topside for a drink
If you feel it wont transport safely, then gently start removing the substrate outwards from the burrow with a wooden spoon (not metal). Just take your time until you can reach her, then with the spoon just gently give her a nudge and she should come out. Be prepared though she may not really like it to well, but it should make her come to the top so you can relocate her into a container just a bit bigger than her, lined with paper towels. That way she doesn't bump around a whole lot. Then relocate her when you get where your going.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't be afraid to dig her up if that's what you have to do. Just use something smooth (not sharp or pokey) like a big spoon and gently excavate starting at the burrow opening. Just keep scooping out dirt until you can get at her and then wrangle her into a cup or pinch-grab her or do whatever works. Tarantulas are tough. As long as there are no rocks or wood above her, that whole burrow could collapse and she would just get all dusty and eventually dig her way out.

EDIT: Ah Suidakkra, you beat me to it with pretty much the same advice. At least he isn't digging up a haplo, right?

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Right--don't worry about hurting the T if you're just digging it out of substrate. Just go slow & steady. Keep a container handy to catch it if it decides to scram.

What many people, including myself, do when moving a serious burrower with a tough attitude like C. Crawshayi or H. Gigas, any Haplo, etc. is to very slowly flood the burrow. This works especially well if there are multiple openings to the burrow, because you can use one to pour water into & place a cup over the other to catch the T as it comes out (cover any other openings)... This way your hands are out of harms way & there's no hard surfaces involved for the T to be injured by...

But for a Rosie I'd stick with digging...

Good luck!

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
EDIT: Ah Suidakkra, you beat me to it with pretty much the same advice. At least he isn't digging up a haplo, right?

Hehe, nothing like seeing a blur run up your digging instrument like a greased ball of fury. :D

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hehe, nothing like seeing a blur run up your digging instrument like a greased ball of fury. :D
Roflmao. It is a bit nerve racking to have to dig a tarantula out of its burrow. I did it with my little smithi when he was 1.5" and it collapsed. He was fine, but it scared the hell out of me.

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For stubborn burrowers, I slowly flood the container with water if I feel I really need to get them out. No digging, and little to no chance of hurting the spider. :D