How do they drink?

Aerendyl

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. Sorry for posting this thread before introducting but it's kinda very late here but I need to ask something. I will post the introduction tommorow. :)

10 min ago, I went to bed and give fast look on what's my tarantula doing. I saw her walking and then coming to the little dish of water and drinking for about 10 min. :)

Can you explain to me how do they drink? Also how often do they drink and do they drink two drops of water, 5...?

Thanks!

P.S. One additional q. I have my tarantula for two weeks now. I didn't give to it anything to eat. Lets assume that it didn't eat for two weeks while at seller. Should I be worry or? I ordered few crickets but I think that they won't come this week either.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas can go for long periods of time without eating and are known to fast. So even a month isn't long to them. You should feed it 1-2 crickets a week. As for drinking, they just suck it up through their mouth. I don't think there is a set amount they drink and it will vary how often they drink. Tarantulas get most of their moisture from what they eat anyway.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Hey guys. Sorry for posting this thread before introducting but it's kinda very late here but I need to ask something. I will post the introduction tommorow. :)

10 min ago, I went to bed and give fast look on what's my tarantula doing. I saw her walking and then coming to the little dish of water and drinking for about 10 min. :)

Can you explain to me how do they drink? Also how often do they drink and do they drink two drops of water, 5...?

Thanks!

P.S. One additional q. I have my tarantula for two weeks now. I didn't give to it anything to eat. Lets assume that it didn't eat for two weeks while at seller. Should I be worry or? I ordered few crickets but I think that they won't come this week either.
Well, Ts don't drink too quickly in my experience - they take their time, but as was said, they don't really drink too much since most of the moisture they need comes from food and humidity. That being said, it's a good idea to have a water dish available to them once they top 2" or so. I always think it's cool to watch when I do discover them at the water dish though.

As for feeding - it really depends on the size of the T. A full grown one can easily go for a month or more without food. If it's abdomen is nearly the size of the carapace or larger, then it's fine - - just make sure you keep water in that water bowl. Post a picture here if you can, and we can tell you for sure, but I certainly wouldn't lose much sleep about it :)

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some species will drink more often than others as well.
To add a little bit too, their mouth is under their body. You can usually see it quite easily by the contrasting red bristles surrounding it. These help filter their food. Their fangs and chelicera are used to hold their prey and inject venom but are not actually their mouth. They can't ingest anything with them. Thought I'd mention. You may not be, but I know some people have been confused with that at the beginning.