How Do (Or Should) I Sanitize My Decorations?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I always recommend springtails, they eat mold and generally keep any enclosure clean, I personally have had good results with them. I dont recommend collecting anything from outside, you dont know what it's been exposed too, like pestisides
Yeah if you don't have a good reason to be confident that the place you're collecting from is pesticide-free, it's definitely a risk. I only collect from parks where I know they don't use pesticides, and I don't collect from anyplace right next to a roadway, but if you're lucky enough to have a decent forest nearby it can be quite safe.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Yeah I probably won’t be collecting anything from outside, as my Mom frequently uses pesticides in our backyard.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Yeah if you don't have a good reason to be confident that the place you're collecting from is pesticide-free, it's definitely a risk. I only collect from parks where I know they don't use pesticides, and I don't collect from anyplace right next to a roadway, but if you're lucky enough to have a decent forest nearby it can be quite safe.
I dont know this to be true, but I've read that pestisides get into the deepest of forests, as long as things are baked in the oven, they should be sterile. Pet stores aren't the best place to get pets, but the products there are safe, I think...

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I dont know this to be true, but I've read that pestisides get into the deepest of forests, as long as things are baked in the oven, they should be sterile. Pet stores aren't the best place to get pets, but the products there are safe, I think...
Yes, pesticides can get into forests, but typically that is from streams and rivers that are running through agricultural lands before getting to the forest. Avoid those as well and you will be fine.

Sterile doesn’t mean safe. It just means that the bacteria, fungi, and viruses have (mostly) been killed or inactivated. Sterilizing things does nothing to remove chemical residue, which is a FAR greater risk to your animals than the typical microbial life found in wood.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's too bad humans are basically nitwits. EO is the perfect sanitizer for terrariums but people are just too putz to use the stuff safely.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
I have another question: I have a large acorn cap that i got about four years ago that I wish to use. It has been sitting in an air tight container since that time. Is it safe? I don’t know whether or not the park I got it from was treated with pesticides. Perhaps it would have worn out by now?

The Snark

Old Timer
I don’t know whether or not the park I got it from was treated with pesticides. Perhaps it would have worn out by now?
No. Over that period of time ordinary pesticides would have lost potency. However, there is a spray used to control oak leaf gall (targets mites) that is a long duration plasticized toxin intended to continue killing for an entire year with one spraying. Whether that spray was used and if so is it still a hazard is anybodies guess but is it really worth taking the chance?.It is from a park where the flora is often carefully cared for and pest control is much more likely.

Last edited:

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
You’re right. I just looked it up, and it said some pesticides can last 5 years. And can last even longer in stable conditions (like my air tight plastic box)
But I just looked it up really fast so I could be wrong

Last edited:

brachysaurus

Arachnopeon
I’m asking this here since it’s relevant, what about disinfectant wipes? I suppose it depends on the concentration of whatever solution/ingredients it has?

The wipes being unscented of course, and after using said wipes it’d hypothetically be followed by a quick rinse with warm/hot water and a dab of dish washing soap? (also fragrance/scent free)

This is only concerning items purchased either online or in pet stores as a pre-use wipedown, since I’m aware with the latter there’s always a risk of cross-contamination or something with how many products they have coming and going.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I’m asking this here since it’s relevant, what about disinfectant wipes? I suppose it depends on the concentration of whatever solution/ingredients it has?

The wipes being unscented of course, and after using said wipes it’d hypothetically be followed by a quick rinse with warm/hot water and a dab of dish washing soap? (also fragrance/scent free)

This is only concerning items purchased either online or in pet stores as a pre-use wipedown, since I’m aware with the latter there’s always a risk of cross-contamination or something with how many products they have coming and going.
Those should work! As long as you can get into any details that would work fine :)

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
I just found out that the park was actually a playground! So likely they didn’t use any really bad pesticides, if any.

The Snark

Old Timer
You’re right. I just looked it up, and it said some pesticides can last 5 years. And can last even longer in stable conditions (like my air tight plastic box)
That's the stuff. Designed to kill mites which can take many generations of them to seriously dent their populations. So they formulated these long term latent insecticides.

I’m asking this here since it’s relevant, what about disinfectant wipes?
This is why alcohol is the most common weapon of choice. Evaporates and is gone without residues.
If you can't scrub the objects to be sterilized it is best to use a high concentration of alcohol, 90% or above since the water in it clumps and serves to protect micro-organisms.

I just found out that the park was actually a playground! So likely they didn’t use any really bad pesticides, if any.
More often than not it's the opposite. Parents commonly demand pest free environments for their kids without thinking of the consequences. This mentality is the cause of most poisonings of children in homes. It never occurs to the adult anything toxic is a ticking time bomb, both in storage and in use.
What I called The War of the Hoses. Golden Gate park. Orkin spraying the playground inch by inch. Parents complaining of the stink for days afterwards. Sides were drawn up. Park maintenance, Park patrol, neighborhood watch, transients sleeping in the park, the organic crowd and the exterminators contracted to spray. A buddy of mine who worked park patrol telling me about things. That patrol was a dream shot for some cops then came the war and the perpetual headache.

Last edited:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
If you can't scrub the objects to be sterilized it is best to use a high concentration of alcohol, 90% or above since the water in it clumps and serves to protect micro-organisms.
I'm confused about this recommendation - when sterilizing stuff in the lab, we use 70% ethanol, because if the concentration of ethanol is too much higher, many bacteria can survive by condensing their outer coat proteins and then rehydrating later, whereas if you use ethanol with ~25%-35% water in it, those bacteria die. Plus higher concentrations evaporate much faster, meaning they're in contact with the bacteria for less time, again increasing bacterial survival. So what am I missing?

The Snark

Old Timer
I'm confused about this recommendation -
Serious paradox isn't it? Alcohol needs to be 70% concentration to kill the majority of organisms. But certain organisms can convert high concentrations of alcohol into an acid giving them an ideal environment.
I just go by my training in infection control in hospitals. 70%+ = 98% kill. The presence of water in the alcohol requires the surface to be scrubbed to break the surface tension. Otherwise the person administering a shot could just spray alcohol instead of a swab.

But really, EO is the way to go for terrariums. Unfortunately it requires a strict protocol to be followed beyond the capability of average person.

Last edited:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Serious paradox isn't it? Alcohol needs to be 70% concentration to kill the majority of organisms. But certain organisms can convert high concentrations of alcohol into an acid giving them an ideal environment.
I just go by my training in infection control in hospitals. 70%+ = 98% kill. The presence of water in the alcohol requires the surface to be scrubbed to break the surface tension. Otherwise the person administering a shot could just spray alcohol instead of a swab.

But really, EO is the way to go for terrariums. Unfortunately it requires a strict protocol to be followed beyond the capability of average person.
I suppose since we only work with less dangerous pathogens (lvl 2) those other contexts aren’t relevant to us. Cool info!

The Snark

Old Timer
I suppose since we only work with less dangerous pathogens (lvl 2) those other contexts aren’t relevant to us.
I'm wisely leaving targeting specific pathogens to you brainiacs in those funny smelling departments with the huge counter spaces.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
I had heard from my family that they don’t use pesticides in playgrounds. Oh well. Guess I should have looked it up!

The Snark

Old Timer
I had heard from my family that they don’t use pesticides in playgrounds. Oh well. Guess I should have looked it up!
Some places don't. Last time they tried to spray at Berkeley Park, (Calif, bay area), they had a full scale riot on their hands.

When the anal contigent, BLM wanted access through Arcata Redwoods park to spray herbicides the HSU student body, staff, alumni and half the city showed up to block the road.

But keep in mind ultra anal retentive. When the US gov had it in for the mediterranean fruit fly they sprayed by helicopter the entirety of southern California from the Mexican border on up through central valley. Thousands of square miles.

Last edited: