How do I water a sling?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
an hour plus on sling enclosures...lmao...thats a 30 second tutorial. Me thinks Tom seriously over complicated a super super simple process.:rofl:
It's long, but for someone who really wants a thorough overview of all things sling (you know how anxious new keepers can be), it's worth watching.

Sana

Arachnoprince
It's tough on those of us that are keeping hundreds of tarantulas to remember that when you only have one or two you invest more time (and have more of it to invest) in the pure entertainment of each part of keeping the $20 bug. The folks on here that are breeders or large scale collectors will always offer the simplest and most streamlined methods that have proven effective over time for keeping a tarantula healthy and happy. @cold blood makes an excellent point that the simplest method generally proves to be the best and I have heeded his advice for years with great success. That said, as long as you aren't harming your tarantula and you understand it's basic husbandry requirements and provide the care it needs, by all means watch as many videos and read as many articles as you desire. Heck, I still get a smile out of a good feeding video when I'm having a bad day. And there's a ton of interesting material out there to read. And if you want to try a different technique to accomplish caring for your tarantula, just be very careful and make sure that it's needs and safety are the priority.

cold blood

Staff member
It's tough on those of us that are keeping hundreds of tarantulas to remember that when you only have one or two you invest more time (and have more of it to invest) in the pure entertainment of each part of keeping the $20 bug. The folks on here that are breeders or large scale collectors will always offer the simplest and most streamlined methods that have proven effective over time for keeping a tarantula healthy and happy.
For me the size of the collection is not relevant. I did this when I had 3...because its the most effective and negates basically every single concern one might have.

What's the most common threads regarding newbies with slings...not eating and some manner of excessive (or perceived excessive) hiding. New people with one or a few "$20" slings want to see them and care for them. Its critical to their confidence a lot of the time. They also typically believe that this proper care means a larger, naturalistic set up....which actually compounds every single newbie concern....as they see it less, it hides or burrows more, it has a less aggressive feeding response, which leads directly to slower growth rates, thereby exacerbating those concerns.

Frankly, its a whole lot easier to dote on a sling when its in a condiment cup.

In a simple condiment cup, the t is always able to be monitored, even if they choose to burrow....but they usually don't in smaller condiment cup as it basically becomes the burrow. A sling in a condiment cup that refuses food a few times is almost certainly pre-molt....one that burrows all the time and isn't regularly seen...well, its a total guess whether its pre-molt or just hiding....now they're asking if they should keep offering food.

Now sana, you are 110% correct that another set up will not be detrimental and a t will live and grow there as well...it will just leave the new keeper with a lot more questions and concerns....so IMO simplification is the best and most logical way for new keepers to learn. I mean if someone with tons of ts has a sling that burrows away for months, it doesn't matter, if you have one or three, you really want to see them and be able to monitor them.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The folks on here that are breeders or large scale collectors will always offer the simplest and most streamlined methods that have proven effective over time for keeping a tarantula healthy and happy.
I only have a few tarantulas, but I still keep tiny slings (<1.5") in small deli cups, because I don't want to spend a lot of time (or money) on an enclosure that a sling will quickly outgrow. I'd rather put that effort towards juvenile and adult enclosures.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
@cold blood I wasn't criticizing your use of a condiment cup. You seem to take issue with the tutorial I suggested based purely on it being too long. I take issue with you suggesting that a 30 second video is sufficient for a newbie who is trying to be responsible for a small predator.

My other hobby is shooting and collecting guns. I can give you a 'how to' and 'why' on guns in four sentences, but that doesn't impart much applicable knowledge, just like a 30 second housing tutorial doesn't impart much knowledge to a newbie. I'm not going to let you shoot a .22 after 30 seconds of instruction, and I would hope you would be cognizant enough not to try to do so yourself. The moment something doesn't work you're going to turn around with that gun in your hand and sweep it past a dozen people and point it at someone you think can help, because 30 seconds is not enough time to explain what someone should do in the very likely scenario that for some reason a round doesn't go off right away.

What's the most common threads regarding newbies with slings...not eating and some manner of excessive (or perceived excessive) hiding. New people with one or a few "$20" slings want to see them and care for them. Its critical to their confidence a lot of the time. They also typically believe that this proper care means a larger, naturalistic set up....which actually compounds every single newbie concern....as they see it less, it hides or burrows more, it has a less aggressive feeding response, which leads directly to slower growth rates, thereby exacerbating those concerns.
Not eating and burrowing/hiding were covered quite well in the tutorial I suggested. You mention confidence; yeah, seeing your tarantula is good for confidence, but so is knowing that it's normal for them to hide. The tutorial says hey, here's what they tend to do (burrow), here's how you can help, here's how it affects hydration, here's how it affects molting, here's how it affects feeding... It's much more reassuring to a rank novice like myself than having you describe the bare minimum and say I don't need to worry about other stuff. Molting behavior? Covered in the tutorial. Feeding? Covered. Avoiding problems is a good idea, but knowing what is and isn't a problem and how to handle problems if they do arise is also important and, IMO, is more important to learn first.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
You can cut the top part off a pipette and it makes a nice little water dish!

I used a pipette and hot glue gun and made this pretty cool watering system for my sling enclosures where I don't even have to take the lid off any more. I'm trying to figure out how to make a video to show everyone how I did it. It works amazing!!!

cold blood

Staff member
You seem to take issue with the tutorial I suggested based purely on it being too long
I didn't mean to sound as if I took issue...I just think having someone watch an hour plus vid is over-kill....if I watch something for that long, it better have a plot line...and maybe Samuel L. Jackson...lol..

I don't take issue, I am sure the vid is plenty informative, I just also think its unnecessary to watch.
My other hobby is shooting and collecting guns. I can give you a 'how to' and 'why' on guns in four sentences, but that doesn't impart much applicable knowledge, just like a 30 second housing tutorial doesn't impart much knowledge to a newbie
The two things are completely not comparable. One is a skill that demands muscle memory, not to mention one can kill....you may as well compare making free throws to raising slings. My hobby is fishing, and there is about the same parallels between that and guns....zero.

Not eating and burrowing/hiding were covered quite well in the tutorial I suggested. You mention confidence; yeah, seeing your tarantula is good for confidence, but so is knowing that it's normal for them to hide. The tutorial says hey, here's what they tend to do (burrow), here's how you can help, here's how it affects hydration, here's how it affects molting, here's how it affects feeding... It's much more reassuring to a rank novice like myself than having you describe the bare minimum and say I don't need to worry about other stuff. Molting behavior? Covered in the tutorial. Feeding? Covered. Avoiding problems is a good idea, but knowing what is and isn't a problem and how to handle problems if they do arise is also important and, IMO, is more important to learn first.
For newbies, IME, too much info can cause as many questions and concerns as not enough.....My whole thing is simplification...if more newbs focused on this, there would be a whole lot less issues from them...trying to do too much too fast isn't the best approach....and that's my point.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I didn't mean to sound as if I took issue...I just think having someone watch an hour plus vid is over-kill....if I watch something for that long, it better have a plot line...and maybe Samuel L. Jackson...lol..

I don't take issue, I am sure the vid is plenty informative, I just also think its unnecessary to watch.
The two things are completely not comparable. One is a skill that demands muscle memory, not to mention one can kill....you may as well compare making free throws to raising slings. My hobby is fishing, and there is about the same parallels between that and guns....zero.

For newbies, IME, too much info can cause as many questions and concerns as not enough.....My whole thing is simplification...if more newbs focused on this, there would be a whole lot less issues from them...trying to do too much too fast isn't the best approach....and that's my point.
As a relative newbie ( about 2 years now ) I think the key, for me at least is to keep it simple but concise, not too much waffle. I have seen Toms video, I thought it was good to be honest but maybe for someone with their first T too much info at once?

Swoop

Arachnosquire
It's a little off-putting when a newb such as myself comments on the best video they've found and it gets laughed at. Maybe I'm just more mature and eager to learn than other newbs so I don't mind the information overload. Yeah, that must be it! ;)

Newbies are going to fret and ask questions, that's what they do in every hobby. Yeah the video's long but I don't have any questions after it and my slings are happy. Plus, I didn't have to buy or hunt down vials or condiment cups, I just used some pill bottles neighbors donated and a bottle cap and piece of a shotgun shell for a water dish and a hide. My N. coloratovillosus was even considerate enough to burrow along the side so I can see him whenever I want.

This is where I have to respectfully disagree. Raising a sling wrong may not be dangerous to people like a gun is, but it is dangerous to the sling, which is why newbies worry about it and should spend more than 30 seconds on important topics. The consequence of fishing poorly is you don't make the fish late.

In any case, I think OP's question was answered and then some. Wasn't trying to offend when I said condiment cups are boring, I simply get more enjoyment from watching them climb and burrow than just looking at them, and it takes maybe 2 minutes to set up my pill bottle enclosures.

cold blood

Staff member
It's a little off-putting when a newb such as myself comments on the best video they've found and it gets laughed at
So you think you got laughed at huh....baffling.:banghead:
Plus, I didn't have to buy or hunt down vials or condiment cups,
They're free, pretty much anywhere you get food...we all need to eat...condiment cups are not only the cheapest, but also easily the most readily available and easiest sling housing to attain.
I just used some pill bottles
And while that will work just fine, for beginners it can cause issues as its a finer line to walk with regards to moisture as space and ventilation are generally more limited, especially if the sling webs (which is why I stopped using them in favor of condiment cups)....as a result, I always suggest cups over vials....but you aren't wrong to use them if that's your preference, millions of slings have been raised in them. I wasn't telling you or anyone what not to use, merely what I suggest and most importantly, why I suggest it over other alternatives.

But I never said, and won't tell you its wrong to raise it like that, its just not the simplest, easiest method for higher degrees of success for beginners IME.

Likewise, I didn't say not to watch the video, I even said it was almost certainly plenty informative....I just thought it was a lot to ask someone to watch something so long.
The consequence of fishing poorly is you don't make the fish late.
And what comes late with slings??? I don't get the correlation.

The consequence to fishing poorly is not catching fish, which kinda defeats the purpose of even going fishing.....again, neither fishing, nor shooting, are remotely related to keeping slings.

I wasn't saying anything was being done poorly or incorrectly by anyone, please go back and re-read with a less defensive demeanor (I'm certainly not a mean spirited guy)....I stated my case and reasons multiple times...and that is that for beginners (and non beginners alike), the simplest way, is not only the easiest, but the most foolproof method for high success IME, and that is my reason for suggesting it as I do.

Wasn't trying to offend when I said condiment cups are boring
I was not offended in the least, I simply didn't agree as I don't see how seeing the sling more often is more boring....seems less boring to me....but that's me, and its fine if your view is different.

Also note, that I was not trying to offend either.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
I said "it" got laughed at. If I thought you were laughing at me I would have said "I" got laughed at. I'm not defending anything except that newbies should be encouraged to learn, not be told what's "good enough" and expected to not still have questions. Newbies always have questions, actively encouraging them to learn less or watch more basic stuff isn't going to make them have fewer questions, but it might make them hesitant to ask them because it's "so easy" to you.

So, the fish/guns/slings thing. Something might die when you make a mistake shooting a gun or raising a spider. People > spiders, but it's still life and death for something. Nothing dies if you don't catch a fish. "Making fish late" is a joke. You take a little time out of their day to freak them out, but fish don't have calendars or watches or appointments so they can't actually be late. In summary, gun mistakes, very bad. Spider mistakes, a little bad. Fishing mistakes, no bad. You can fish or shoot free throws without putting anyone or anything you're responsible for at risk.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
an hour plus on sling enclosures...lmao...thats a 30 second tutorial. Me thinks Tom seriously over complicated a super super simple process.:rofl:
It's not an hour plus on sling on just enclosures, but two videos that cover the entire process from selecting and purchasing one to the first molt, etc. You'd think it's super simple, and I would agree. However, we've both been doing this for a while and recognize how easy it is to over-complicate things. The average beginner does not have this experience to fall back on and will spend a lot of time stressing over things we may find normal or mundane.

I get dozens of questions a week about the topics covered in those videos, and I decided to break it down and try to cover all of the questions I'd answered a million times before. I consolidated them all into two videos that hopefully answer most the questions (and demonstrate some simple techniques) in one place. And I actually addressed that they came out longer than I had anticipated. However, I teach for a living, so I thoroughly broke things down. If everyone could be taught by muttering a single sentence or two, I'd be out of a job. :)

Swoop

Arachnosquire
Tom opens a thread and surprise, people are squabbling about his video! :rofl: That's how you know you're a celebrity.

Hi Tom, I think your video was just about perfect for older newbs like me. My slings were a present to myself for my 26th birthday and I've kept other inverts before so thoroughness at the expense of length was not a big deal. I could see how a teenager might not have the time or patience for nine, 10-minute lessons but I certainly had many of my fears laid to rest, enough that I'm only a little nervous about starting with T's that are not recommended as 'beginner species.'

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ha! I was just doing a little surfing during lunch when I stumbled on this thread. Yikes!

Thanks so much, Swoop! Believe me, I get that 1 hr plus is going to try the attention spans of many. However, the idea was to be thorough and try to answer as much as possible in a way that would make those new to the hobby a bit more confident in what they were doing. From the sounds of things, most people just watch the individual sections as they encounter something they need clarification on. I don't think most go straight through both videos. I remember too well some of the things that used to stress me out when I first got into the hobby. I also remember how intimidating and nerve-wracking it could be to seek help on public forums. If I've saved a few people some stress, then it's all worth it. :)

And I teach teenagers...1 hour is a LOT to ask from them. haha

Thanks again!

Tom opens a thread and surprise, people are squabbling about his video! :rofl: That's how you know you're a celebrity.

Hi Tom, I think your video was just about perfect for older newbs like me. My slings were a present to myself for my 26th birthday and I've kept other inverts before so thoroughness at the expense of length was not a big deal. I could see how a teenager might not have the time or patience for nine, 10-minute lessons but I certainly had many of my fears laid to rest, enough that I'm only a little nervous about starting with T's that are not recommended as 'beginner species.'

Swoop

Arachnosquire
Took me a couple days, I just leave videos open as tabs on my laptop and get to them whenever. I have half of a Pampho rehousing video in another tab now, the one where your kids let the dogs in and one's hiding under the table while you try to coax the T out of the burrow you uncovered... Quality entertainment!

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Ha! I was just doing a little surfing during lunch when I stumbled on this thread. Yikes!

Thanks so much, Swoop! Believe me, I get that 1 hr plus is going to try the attention spans of many. However, the idea was to be thorough and try to answer as much as possible in a way that would make those new to the hobby a bit more confident in what they were doing. From the sounds of things, most people just watch the individual sections as they encounter something they need clarification on. I don't think most go straight through both videos. I remember too well some of the things that used to stress me out when I first got into the hobby. I also remember how intimidating and nerve-wracking it could be to seek help on public forums. If I've saved a few people some stress, then it's all worth it. :)

And I teach teenagers...1 hour is a LOT to ask from them. haha

Thanks again!
I watched the whole thing through:) (Then again I really love spider videos). I've been in the hobby for two years, and the video confirmed things I was doing right, and gave me ideas on how to improve even more. All your videos and your blog are top notch :)

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks so much, RemyZee! And you're definitely hardcore watching the whole thing through. hahaha I love tarantula videos myself, but I tend to have the attention span of a gnat. :happy:
I watched the whole thing through:) (Then again I really love spider videos). I've been in the hobby for two years, and the video confirmed things I was doing right, and gave me ideas on how to improve even more. All your videos and your blog are top notch :)