How do I water a sling?

USS Arachnid

Arachnosquire
So today (like 2 minutes ago) I used a syringe to water my slings enclosure. The top is wet(see pic) but that's about it, should I add more water? Sling is a b.vagans 3/4 inch not yet molted.
IMG_20170919_223623260.jpg

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Slings don't need much water, but any size tarantula should have a water dish. It won't drown, they float.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Slings don't need much water, but any size tarantula should have a water dish. It won't drown, they float.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
You can lightly spray the sides to create droplets but preferably use a bottle cap if you can fit it in which looks like you could... Slings won't drown...

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
You can also use something to poke down deep into the substrate (be careful to avoid burrows) and squirt some water down the hole. The sling will burrow to find moisture. Also, it looks like you may need more substrate in that enclosure. Check out Tom's Big Spiders 2-part ultimate sling care guide on YouTube.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
You can also use something to poke down deep into the substrate (be careful to avoid burrows) and squirt some water down the hole. The sling will burrow to find moisture. Also, it looks like you may need more substrate in that enclosure. Check out Tom's Big Spiders 2-part ultimate sling care guide on YouTube.
Tom's guide is super easy to follow, the whole thing is about an hour and ten minutes long (edit: that's if you watch all 9 topics. the enclosures part is probably 5-10 minutes long b/c he does terrestrials, arboreals and burrowers a little differently). He packs moist (almost wet) substrate in the bottom, with dryer substrate on top so the slings can burrow to whatever moisture level they prefer. Then he makes some holes around the perimeter and adds water with a pipette when needed.

Just got my first slings, I'm going to follow his method except I'm going to put a thin drinking straw on the side with a slot cut out at the bottom and almost flush with the lid. That way the sling can't get into it and I can add water to the bottom layer of substrate without accidentally giving them a surprise bath.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
But the top is so swampy though.
pour water in at the very edges of the enclosure, this will help it get deeper into the sub.

Its not something to over think....when it dries, dampen part of the sub again....as mentioned, if the enclosure allows for a dish, use one.

Last edited:

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Tom's guide is super easy to follow, the whole thing is about an hour and ten minutes long. He packs moist (almost wet) substrate in the bottom, with dryer substrate on top so the slings can burrow to whatever moisture level they prefer. Then he makes some holes around the perimeter and adds water with a pipette when needed.

Just got my first slings, I'm going to follow his method except I'm going to put a thin drinking straw on the side with a slot cut out at the bottom and almost flush with the lid. That way the sling can't get into it and I can add water to the bottom layer of substrate without accidentally giving them a surprise bath.
It's a great guide! Sounds like you've got a good plan.

cold blood

Staff member
Also, it looks like you may need more substrate in that enclosure. Check out Tom's Big Spiders 2-part ultimate sling care guide on YouTube.
slings need almost nothing to burrow in...in fact i can see where this sling has dug out an area....your sub is fine....id have it in a condiment cup personally. Simple and effective. 20170918_163641.jpg 20170918_163622.jpg 20170918_163641.jpg 20170918_163622.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Tom's guide is super easy to follow, the whole thing is about an hour and ten minutes long. He packs moist (almost wet) substrate in the bottom, with dryer substrate on top so the slings can burrow to whatever moisture level they prefer. Then he makes some holes around the perimeter and adds water with a pipette when needed.

an hour plus on sling enclosures...lmao...thats a 30 second tutorial. Me thinks Tom seriously over complicated a super super simple process.:rofl:

Swoop

Arachnosquire
an hour plus on sling enclosures...lmao...thats a 30 second tutorial. Me thinks Tom seriously over complicated a super super simple process.:rofl:
He covers 9 topics in two 35-minute videos (feeding, enclosures, choosing a sling, molting, etc). The enclosures part was a bit long because he does a different set-up for terrestrials, arboreals and burrowers but probably still less than 10 minutes. And a 30 second video might cover the 'how' but it doesn't cover the 'why'.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
He covers 9 topics in two 35-minute videos (feeding, enclosures, choosing a sling, molting, etc). The enclosures part was a bit long because he does a different set-up for terrestrials, arboreals and burrowers but probably still less than 10 minutes. And a 30 second video might cover the 'how' but it doesn't cover the 'why'.
Yup

cold blood

Staff member
I'll just put a small water dish in and kept substrate moist around edges
Yes, because as slings, they lack the waxy cuticle that protects them from dehydration.

There ya go ^^...the how and why in just 2 sentences.:p

The biggest issues beginners have is with over-complication....this is why I always stress simplification...or the easiest methods for high success.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
The biggest issues beginners have is with over-complication....this is why I always stress simplification...or the easiest methods for high success.
I think we're entitled to fret a little, seeing as how we are unaccustomed to spending $20+ on a single little bug :p

And personally, setting up the enclosures for my slings was part of the fun. If some bare substrate in a condiment cup works for you and you enjoy it, great. I'd probably use it if I had a large number of slings. But for just a few, it's a boring way to keep a spider.