How do I sanitize Cork Bark?

SkittlesTheJumpingSpider

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone! I'm very new to cork bark, and, (As always), I'm paranoid about mites and other pests on it. The aquarium store that I got it from said I should rinse it, but would that make it grow mold?

If anyone knows what the best way to sanitize it is (Or if I should sanitize it at all), then I would appreciate any replies.

Thank you,
-SkittlesTheJumpingSpider

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Scrub it with water and a scrub brush (no soap) to remove any surface debris, dry it for a day or two at room temperature, and use it.

Parasitic mites and pests that are dangerous to your animals aren't likely to be hitchhiking on store-bought cork. If you're really worried you can either boil it for a few minutes or bake it, but be aware that in doing so, you are increasing the odds of having serious mould issues in your enclosure. When you kill off all the microflora, you create a perfect opportunity for one of the common airborne moulds to settle in and take over.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
When i first get cork, i rinse it, microwave in short bursts and let dry. It may be unnecessary but it's never caused me any problems. I also sift, wet and microwave peat before use. Again, no issues.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello everyone! I'm very new to cork bark, and, (As always), I'm paranoid about mites and other pests on it. The aquarium store that I got it from said I should rinse it, but would that make it grow mold?

If anyone knows what the best way to sanitize it is (Or if I should sanitize it at all), then I would appreciate any replies.

Thank you,
-SkittlesTheJumpingSpider
bake or microwave it

SkittlesTheJumpingSpider

Arachnosquire
bake or microwave it
Thanks for the reply. I'll try baking it, thank you!

When i first get cork, i rinse it, microwave in short bursts and let dry. It may be unnecessary but it's never caused me any problems. I also sift, wet and microwave peat before use. Again, no issues.
Nothing you put in an enclosure should ever be sterilized.
Scrub it with water and a scrub brush (no soap) to remove any surface debris, dry it for a day or two at room temperature, and use it.

Parasitic mites and pests that are dangerous to your animals aren't likely to be hitchhiking on store-bought cork. If you're really worried you can either boil it for a few minutes or bake it, but be aware that in doing so, you are increasing the odds of having serious mould issues in your enclosure. When you kill off all the microflora, you create a perfect opportunity for one of the common airborne moulds to settle in and take over.
Thank you for all the replies! 😊