How do I offset my room temp?

PatrickM

Arachnopeon
In a few weeks I will be purchasing my first scorpion (planning on an emperor). The only room I have available to keep it in has a pretty big fluctuation in temperature. Usually 70 degrees at night and closer to 50 during the day.

What type of heating set up does my enclosure need? Would I need both a heat pad and a heat lamp?

How would this effect the humidity? Is there a certain number of times per day/week I should be misting the enclosure?

Also, I saw the meanest looking 3" Parabuthus transvaalicus at the store. Very aware of how pain full the sting is and potential to spit venom. Is it even worth considering for a beginner if I'm not planning on handling it and being extremely safe?

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
wow, im actually very surprised that a pet store carries a Parabuthus transvaalicus.

They are beautiful scorpion... but like you said they can spray venom... the handler/caretaker needs protective goggles and a locked tank.
Think the store owner is putting his livelihood at risk by having that in his store and being willing to sell it to anyone.

... I wouldn't purchase any Parabuthus spp. as a first scorpion or any medically significant species for that matter.

Do you mean 70 during the day and 50 at night ?
This is an ok swing in tempatures
Adding a heat pad on the side during the day to bring up the temp a bit say around 75-80. Possibly add a lamp to keep it up a lil more.

Maybe a Infared Bulb to keep it in the upper 60's at night.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
do you have other inverts? if so, you might want to just heat the whole room. i use a space heater to keep my tropical\subtropical pet area warm..just an idea

smrich

Arachnopeon
I use a space heater at well. It is electric, very small, can easily raise the temp of a small room 5 or 10 degrees. I think it was maybe $30 at home depot.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
get a species native to the US. They would be much hardier to temp changes. Even desert species from Arizona go through cold spells.

PatrickM

Arachnopeon
The house I live in is rather old and uses an electric heater to keep my room warm. Currently I am renting it and the owner won't keep the heat on while I am out for the day because of fear it could start a fire. My work schedule keeps me away from home 14-16 hours a day on weekdays, so for the most part my room temp is pretty cold. And unfortunately, it is the warmest room in the house. However, when I am home I crank the heat until its feels like a sauna.

Would everyone agree then that I should be getting a US native species because of that? Personally, I want to get the most aggressive looking and most active scorpion I can.

Thank you very much for your help and input.

PatrickM

Arachnopeon
I was just reading and found a couple species I liked that might fit the bill. Would a desert species like any of these work?

Diplocentrus whitei
Diplocentrus lindo
Diplocentrus diablo
Diplocentrus spitzeri

Also, where is the best place to buy one? I noticed Kenthebugguy.com has D. Lindo and also for D. Spitzeri for $10-$20.