How do I move a 'pede?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I have a nasty little 6-7" centipede that needs to be moved to a new cage. He's in 12" wide by 3" high delicup right now, and I want to move him to a 2.5 gallon (6x8x12).

What's the best way to do this without him getting lose? Please bear in mind, I'm new to 'pedes and don't know them as well as I do with tarantulas ;)

-Bryan

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Personally, I would just put the whole container inside the new one, remove the cover and let the pede come out on it's own and then remove the old container.

Scott

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I would, but that one sticks out by 4". The 2.5 gallon is only 8" tall :?

-Bryan

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I'd still do it the same way I mentioned. In fact, I have :) I use 2 1/2 gallon tanks for all my large pedes and many of them came in the 12" wide deli cups. Make sure you have a paint brush or something similar to nudge with, and make sure that you have the lid for the 2 1/2 gallon nearby. Put the deli cup in with the 4 inches sticking up. At that point everything in the cup should have settled towards the bottom anyway. Remove lid from cup, nudge pede into tank, remove deli cup, put lid on 2 1/2 gallon tank. That's how I did it anyways. :)

Scott

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Good luck, just watch out for the pede trying to run up the rim of the deli cup or the paint brush.... :)

Scott

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Actually, long stainless surgical forceps (especially the kind with the wide triangular or looped tips for better gripping) can work with pedes if you're careful. Unlike a tarantula, the pede exo is strong enough to handle being pinned and grasped in this way - I've seen it done. You risk a little damage to the pede, but it's preferrable to being bit or losing your big venomous pede into your house.

You can also cool the pede down by placing it outside or in the fridge for about 10 minutes and subsequently slow it down. Cold blooded inverts will definitely become sluggish when cold.

bill

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
The move went great, although I have a very pissed off 'pede right now ;) He lives up to the name Demon, alright =D

Enjoy the photos. First, the tools I used and the cages.

-Bryan

ps~ Those are tongue piercing forceps I had spare. I like using them for moving critters because they're 12" long.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
I'd still do it the same way I mentioned. In fact, I have :) I use 2 1/2 gallon tanks for all my large pedes and many of them came in the 12" wide deli cups.
Really? Would you put a 10" specimen in that? Since I have space restrictions, I will have a free 5.5 gallon tank soon and I was considering getting a pede like a vanuatu (sp.?) because it doesn't grow much over 6". I wanted to get another big one like a S. Heros Canstaneiceps (sp.?) or one of those snazzy malaysian cherry reds but wasn't sure if it would be content in a 5.5 gallon tank. Would it?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Personally, I would say just about any pede out there would be absolutely fine in a 5.5 gallon tank. The largest I have any of mine in is a 2.5 gallon and they're all doing fine. Of course it's not the securist thing as they climb to the top occasionally, but I have good locking lids on the enclosures so I don't worry.

Scott

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
Cool pede, what sp. is it? Also, what is tattooed on your arm?
It's a S. morsitans, I believe.

The tattoo is a custom design I drew up (and copyrighted, this time). Below is a better image of it :)

-Bryan

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
another thing you might want to do next time is to rehouse your pedes in the bathtub, if they manage to get away they will be contianed in the tub, or even a large plastic container would work also.......
Ed

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Personally, I would say just about any pede out there would be absolutely fine in a 5.5 gallon tank. The largest I have any of mine in is a 2.5 gallon and they're all doing fine. Of course it's not the securist thing as they climb to the top occasionally, but I have good locking lids on the enclosures so I don't worry.

Scott
Awesome, I guess I'll be able to get another big pede like I want.