how do i know when its safe to handle tarantula

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
hi getting my first t soon an arboreal pinktoe species or something similiar. how do i know when its safe to handle?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Short answer: It's not. While the pinktoe does not present any real danger to you and can be "safely" handled (albeit with the possibility of a non-lethal but painful bite or a dose of itchy urticating hairs) it is not safe for the tarantula. Avics tend to be skittish in my experience - and are also quite fast. If you try to handle one, it will most likely attempt to escape which could easily result in a fatal fall or other injury. The spider could also escape and end up loose in the house where it might fall prey to a pet or an arachnophobic roommate or family member.

*IF* you feel like you really must handle your tarantula, you're better off with a more slow-moving and docile terrestrial species like G. rosea, B. albopilosum, A. eutylenum, etc. The tarantula does not benefit from being held and there are always going to be risks involved - both to you and the spider - so you have to decide for yourself if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Most people here do not advocate handling spiders. Personally, I do handle a very few of my spiders on rare occasions (for classroom demonstrations) but do not hold them on a regular basis. When handling a spider, you need to pay careful attention to the physical cues the spider is giving you - things like rearing up, flicking hairs, backing away, or otherwise acting defensive or as if it wanted to be left alone. If it is acting like it wants to be left alone, it's best to respect that and leave it alone. When you do pick up or handle a spider, you should make sure you are very close to the floor (no more than a few inches) so if the spider does fall or bolt, it doesn't injure itself - and always keep a catch cup handy in case it gets away from you.

Last edited:

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Avics are not recommended to handle(no tarantula is really) because they are very quick and tend to jump off when they're panicked which can injure and kill it

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
There is no safe handling(for you or your T). If it bites you then you must deal with it. Do not do it regularly.

If you are determined to handle then always do it LOW and SLOW. Be very gentle and try to restrain from making any sudden movements. You do not want to spook your T. If it suffers a fall it could be fatal. It just isnt worth the risk.

Avics will jump and they will shoot poo at you. They can also leave a bad reaction to some with their urticating hairs.

Have catchcups prepared incase it decides to take off.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Assume it's NEVER safe to handle a T. That way there won't ever be an accident.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
hi getting my first t soon an arboreal pinktoe species or something similiar. how do i know when its safe to handle?
'an arboreal pinktoe species or something like that.'
That must make looking up care quite difficult. Don't you want to know exactly what you're getting, to be able to keep it healthy? Usually, a 'pink toe' refers to Avicularia species, and they can be tricky in terms of environment, ventilation and humidity.

But nope. All you want to know is how soon you can handle it. :banghead:

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
My AF avic avic is as calm and cute as a button, but I would never handle her. Why? because she wants to be left alone. I have never seen her run, but that is because I never gave her reason to. When i open the enclosure to fill the water dish, she either sits still or slowly moves further into her web tunnel.

My point with this is: as long as they are undisturbed in their enclosures, they feel "safe". When you put a T out of their enclosure, you literally put the T out of her comfort zone, which causes stress and maybe panic. It's instinct might tell it to run or jump away, anywhere is fine as long as they can get away from the threat, which will pose a great risk to the T.

And the poop cannon is definitely a thing.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
'an arboreal pinktoe species or something like that.'
That must make looking up care quite difficult. Don't you want to know exactly what you're getting, to be able to keep it healthy? Usually, a 'pink toe' refers to Avicularia species, and they can be tricky in terms of environment, ventilation and humidity.

But nope. All you want to know is how soon you can handle it. :banghead:
What @Andrea82 said. If you want to have something to cuddle with, get a cat or dog. Tarantula's are not playthings.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You need to ask this to user @Moakmeister, once he was lucky enough to meet Peanuts, by far the only tamed Theraphosidae ever.

It's all about a perfect combination of Karma, Kundalini, Chakra, positive energies, and Sol Invictus. A perfect set up/environment isn't enough.

P.S

If you eventually plan to handle even a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus you will need this theme as well.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Well, yeah. I got the impression that he only wanted a Tarantula for handling, not really caring what species "arboreal pinktoe species or something similiar". Why cuddle with avics when you can cuddle with S. calceatum?:angelic:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Lol I hold my rosie s on occasion. i've held my pinktoes, but they are too jumpy to safely handle. I've handled my lp aas well

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I think new members that post hot button threads and then contribute nothing to the topic should be banned.. Most are trolls that have no interest in this hobby and are only posting to cause discord..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I think new members that post hot button threads and then contribute nothing to the topic should be banned.. Most are trolls that have no interest in this hobby and are only posting to cause discord..
I really try to not pull the Troll Trigger too soon, because there's a good chance that it's someone legitimately looking for help. It does get irritating, though, when a question is posed and the OP never comes back to check...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah ah cracked me up :)