How did you know you where ready for a Pokie ?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've been looking at all the Pokie posts. Though they do seem more challenging then the NW terrestial T's I have now, I think I want one. Yet, I'm not sure i'm ready for one. How did you know when you where " ready ' to get a pokie ?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've been looking at all the Pokie posts. Though they do seem more challenging then the NW terrestial T's I have now, I think I want one. Yet, I'm not sure i'm ready for one. How did you know when you where " ready ' to get a pokie ?
You just need to realize the speed at which these can move.

It mostly depends on the keeper. I was in the hobby for about 4 months before I bought my pair of P. regalis slings. They're in large containers right now so I have room to work with them.

Two months later, I bought a 4" female P. regalis.

I have experience with centipedes and some OW terrestrials, including P. murinis (which I didn't have before I had the female Regalis.).

Experience with nervous arboreals is a good idea, but experience with any teleporting overly agressive T would be OK.

I'd start with a P. regalis sling if anything. P. regalis is pretty hardy and my specimens are pretty calm. Just respect the sanctity of their tube web and you'll be OK.

The claims of them being overly defensive are something I've found completely false, or at least over exaggerated. They are more skittish than defensive and this is what you need to look out for because they're lightning fast and won't hesitate to bite if you grab them with your bare hands, and when they do bite, their venom is not something to trifle with.

Last edited:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a GBB now, but it's not as skittish as people say they are. A tleast not with me. I was thinking about " busting the bank " and getting a P. mettalica. They look VERY pretty. I have read they are more likely to avoid you then try to attack you. If I did happen to get bit ( hope not ) the bite reports for that Pokie seems a little better then others.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I waited for about a year. I had been thinking about it, and had some of the more aggressive terrestrials, a T. blondi, P. cancerides, plus a couple of avics for the arboreal speedy part.
I think at that point the fastest terrrestrial that I had was my A. seemani, she moves so fast if you blink you miss it.
When the beauty and grace that is a regalis overcomes your feeling of nervousness, and your mental questioning about if you can do this or not, goes away, you are ready.
I would, however, suggest a regalis sling. The two of you can grow and learn about each other together.
It has worked well for me, althought my regalis is now referred to as my ornry-mental.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When you are comfortable and over that "I have to hold it" stage, you're ready.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Currently I treat all my T's as I do my fish : for display purposes only. I see no need to handle my T's. Its safer for me and them.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most people think ther are some magical set numbers or standards in this hobby. IT does vary. We give out 7-14 days for when to feed a molted T because they seem to be an average. And there is no logical succesion for what T's to own; i.e. G. rosea -> A. seemani -> P. Murinus -> P. regalis, etc...

Its like Cheshire said, you need to be introspective and think long and hard about the pet you want to get. Think about why you want to get it; do you like its markings, do you want to challenge yourself a little further, do you want something that you can kill pinkies with?

Basically just heed what other have said. They are fast and have a potent bite and will use it if they feel threatened and cannot run away. I did not buy one till I was well over a year in the hobby and felt I could handle taking care of them with out either of us getting hurt.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ha ha!!! i agree!!!! {D

i dont think there is a certain time frame. just whenever you feel comfortable aroud them. and im toootally with you...get the p. metallica!!! i LOVE them!!! just remember that ALL t's can and will bite if provoked into doing so. but they arent the most aggresive spiders. (most of the time) so just keep an eye on it while doing cage cleanings, feeding, etc. you should be just fine.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i been in this hobby for almost 9yrs off and on and i am still not up to keeping any pokie and i do NOT hold any of my ( t ) and never will == phil

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i waited until... i found one on sale! ;) that's how i got my p. rufilata. you probably don't want a metallica unless you're 100% positive that you're going to be able to take proper care of it and prevent escapes! and yeah, i have only two t's that i dare handle, my a. avic, and a. metallica... they're super-friendly, as long as you don't breathe on them! {D

cheers! :D
- munis

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How did you know when you where " ready ' to get a pokie ?
I just went out and got one LOL. I still cant figure out why so many think a person has to have many years under their belt to get a Poke. One of the very first sp I ever got was P regalis. Pokes arent near as bad as what you all have been led to believe. Starting out with a small sling, you will know what to expect by the time it is mature.

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they all make good points. I was never scared to get a pokie, just knew to treat them with alot more caution and respect. BUT!, be careful.. pokies are addicting! Ive got 13 now and Im virtually in the process of phasing out all my other Ts and keeping strictly pokies.. because the others just arent as cool after they came in.

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I say just research it and learn everything you can and get one. I got my first pokie 2 months into the hobby and it was a P. mettalica. Pokies are not hard at all to care for. I have 8 in my collection.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i'd agree with everyone that the degree of difficulty in keeping them is a bit overrated. at the same time i would say, you are ready for a pokie when you know you are. in other words...once you've kept ts long enough and feel you are comfortable enough with them...you should be just fine.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
time

I would say if you think about it enough, knowing/reading about the species - the regalis can be fast when it wants to, and has the potential to inflict a very painful bite (altho it would rather hide) - and you think that you can work with this species knowing you need to be careful around it,and can be calm and composed during maintenance etc, then I would say you are probably ready to own one, there is no time-frame of when someone is ready, its when YOU think you are ready.

Iggy

Arachnopeon
Trust your instincts, for years I talked myself out of getting into pokies and now that I have several I find them to be great Ts to work with. Other than my ornata the rest are very predictable as to what they will put up with and what makes them nervous. Most of the time they would much rather run and hide than anything else. Just be sure they have some place to hide and get away to other than out of the cage and treat them with respect. Cheers Iggy

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with the plenty of "pokie spots" in the setups. the more hiding spots they have, the less the mess with me.
this is the setup my fasciata was in when I rescued her next to where she lives now.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
being ready for me is a question of confidence - i think when you feel comfortable with your ts and most importantly KNOW that you will not freak out in case of something unexpected happening (like a pokie teleporting out of its tank), you will be fine. as many before me said, most pokies are flighty, not agressive.

still, i'd start with a p. regalis to get used to them (i did ;)) , not with a metallica. regalis are hardier and calmer, my metallica is a nervous bundle of threat displays and teleport-jumping.