how can you tell if a sling is about to molt?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got some tiny slings now, they allmost look hairless will there whole body turn black before the molt or will it just darken slightly. will they make a molting matt or burrow first, by the way there all burrowers.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
None of the above. Most of them just want to surprise you in the morning by magically adding a lifeless spider in the container. In cases of juvies and adults, you can tell by the darkening of the abdomen and the loss of appetite. In cases of really small s'lings, you can still try to look for the same symptoms, but generally they just pop out of their old skeleton without warning. Just keep the humidity level right and let them do their stuff. Always remove uneaten food immediately. Live crix had been known to kill a tarantula while molting.

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Huh, all of my slings do get a dark spot on their abdomen before molting. Sometimes they almost look like the whole thing is dark.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
All my slings have dark abdomen's all the time (Brachy's). I can tell when they go off-feed. Plus, I keep a log, so I know the week that they'll molt.