How can you tell if a female is Gravid?

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Im just curious, i have a female Trinidad Chevron that I bought its about 6" and I think it was wild caught. Im just curious if there are any signs that would point to her being pregnant? Thnx for any info

TheDon

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi there, well I can sure tell you that her abdomen is going to get fatter and fatter. If she starts doing some webbing that she doesn't normally do plus the getting fat then there is a good chance that she could be gravid. Hope this helps a little:)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also if she's whining alot and making you go out and by stupid crap :)

but seriously, the best way is the abdomen size.. unless you can xray the T somehow, but... um..

yeah,abdomen size ;)

peace
dave

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Ok thnx... she has made kind of a weird web in the back corner that is kind of a ramp about 3 inches high, its weird cause it seems to serve no purpose... unless she plans on building it up later? I have only had her for about a week so i dont know if that is a normal web for them... but I know my P. Irminia has a tube web so i expected the same from a P. Cambridgei. She seems to be very lazy and doesnt move around alot and when she is turned side ways on the wall she rests her abdomen on her leg. None of my other aboreals do this. Anyways I kind of hope she is cause that would be awesome.

Thnx

if anyone else can shed some light on the situation that would be great

TheDon

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheDon
Ok thnx... she has made kind of a weird web in the back corner that is kind of a ramp about 3 inches high, its weird cause it seems to serve no purpose... unless she plans on building it up later? I have only had her for about a week so i dont know if that is a normal web for them... but I know my P. Irminia has a tube web so i expected the same from a P. Cambridgei. She seems to be very lazy and doesnt move around alot and when she is turned side ways on the wall she rests her abdomen on her leg. None of my other aboreals do this. Anyways I kind of hope she is cause that would be awesome.

Thnx

if anyone else can shed some light on the situation that would be great

TheDon
This is exactly what my Dodoma Baboon is doing. I bought her at a petstore so I have no idea whether she was Captive Bred or Wild Caught. If she is indeed about ready to lay eggs in an eggsac, are there any dealers who want a few hundred Dodoma Baboon babies? I have absolutely no experience with gravid Arachnids here.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
raffle em off :)
arachnocontests here we come!

i think its pretty safe to say that you'll know if its gravid...
that or you you come home after a long weekend away and find your little T with an eggsac ;)

its not that hard raising an eggsac (incubator or leaving it with the mother)...

good luck!
peace
dave

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The two eggsacks that were put down by my T's I ended up leaving with the mama and they came out fine. Just keep the conditions right( temp. and humidity) and do not disturb the enclosure, I put mine on my kitchen counter where it is more solid than the shelf my T's are on. The more disturbences there are, the better the chance the mama may eat the eggsack.

Good luck:)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
raffle em off :)
arachnocontests here we come!

i think its pretty safe to say that you'll know if its gravid...
that or you you come home after a long weekend away and find your little T with an eggsac ;)

its not that hard raising an eggsac (incubator or leaving it with the mother)...

good luck!
peace
dave
Well I'm just hoping she's going to molt. I really do not want a ton of babies. But on the flip side I might be able to trade them off for some Tarantulas and Scorpions I want.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should try breeding sometime (Ts, not you).

its really fun and you get to see your Ts in a new/different light. very interesting to watch the eggsac go down, too!

you can always trade/sell/contest-them-off.

or do what i do with some of them:
go to local T stores (reptile stores that have a good T selection) and sell some slings to them. They'll hook you up if you keep supplying them with slings!

i figure 10 slings out of each eggsac get sold to T stores near me. Very cool since they remember that and will help you out and its always good to have T people on your side ;)

good luck either way.

let's just say this:
you'll never have to worry about being able to get rid of slings with this board behind you ;P

peace
dave

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm,,, fatter

Hi...:)

Well,,petite..this is what my 6 - 7 inch chaco female is doing, going 'nuts', doing webs on the ground that she never does, digging like she was looking for the bottom of the cage, and more webbing on ground without any "purpose".
This is a very calm tarantula and on top of that she's got some attitude lately.

Made the surface inside her pot completly flat, I never thought a tarantula could do a surface so flat, and moved all excess dirt outside.
She's also getting fat and I have not been feeding her that much lately, when and how do they ev. drop an eggsac?

Or is it just a big prepare for molt? :) ( although she eats without problem when crickets are there)