How can you tell a B jacksoni is pregnant?

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How can you tell if one is gravid... I plan on either ordering a guaranteed gravid one or going to the store when they restock and trying to get lucky and pick a gravid female!

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
your best bet is going with the guaranteed gravid. especially if you are buying from someone on the boards. being a close knit community you know the person you are buying from isn't gonna screw you, cus if they did everyone would find out.

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I picked up one of these pairs with the gravid female, and my two seem to really enjoy each other's company for the moment. I see them cuddling up together quite a bit. They even took down one bigass hopper together this evening.

They really do seem to be quite communal for the time being, but my question is this. When my female does pop out her babies, should I take the male out and give her her own enclosure? Should I be planning ahead and giving her an enclosure of her own before she drops? Or can I just leave them together without any worries about cannablism?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I picked up one of these pairs with the gravid female, and my two seem to really enjoy each other's company for the moment. I see them cuddling up together quite a bit. They even took down one bigass hopper together this evening.

They really do seem to be quite communal for the time being, but my question is this. When my female does pop out her babies, should I take the male out and give her her own enclosure? Should I be planning ahead and giving her an enclosure of her own before she drops? Or can I just leave them together without any worries about cannablism?
You could leave her in, but when its time for the babeis to leave her back they might be canabalized, as soon as I see a female has poppose i will gently move her to a new/smaller enclosure. You could do this OR simply remove the male.

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
will putting the female into a delicup or something a little smaller help to ensure that she doesn't drop her babies from her back, or that they will be able to get back on easier?

edit: the b. jacksoni have got to be my faves right now, they're great to watch, they fed like crazy last night. still can't get the slings to take anything though, i think my smallest crickets are just too big for them, so I caught some little houseflies and removed their wings, but they weren't interested in that either. any suggestions until i can get some smaller cricks in?

xrickus

Arachnopeon
I have 8 sling, they eat prekilled crickets, a small one disapear in few hours.
I suggest also a tiny water dish, I noticed that mine drink very often.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
any suggestions until i can get some smaller cricks in?
Yes they'll eat pre killed crickets but also "parts" of dead crickets, meal worms, grasshoppers etc...Put a relative sized morsel in with them overnight and see if it's been moved in anyway the following day. If not theres probably a moult approaching or your temps are a bit to cool.

will putting the female into a delicup or something a little smaller help to ensure that she doesn't drop her babies from her back,
Not really....although it will help you to collect the young after they have left her back......Be aware his should be done quite carefully as jacksonii has a habit of wiping her back clean if disturbed to much.....isn't that right Michiel..;)