How can I safely remove mold?

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Joined
Aug 2, 2010
Messages
255
I was looking in on my panama red rump and saw some mold on the wall with the heat mat on it. I took off the heat mat and saw the whole wall was mold. I imediatlly took out the tarantula. My question is how can I remove the mold? I heard bleach works but how much and is this dangerous?
 

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
283
I was looking in on my panama red rump and saw some mold on the wall with the heat mat on it. I took off the heat mat and saw the whole wall was mold. I imediatlly took out the tarantula. My question is how can I remove the mold? I heard bleach works but how much and is this dangerous?
using a bleach mixture . . . . I've heard 10 parts water to 1 part bleach . . . . is a good cleaning agent and not dangerous if rinsed afterwords and obviously not used while the tarantula is present. Once it's clean, provide new substrate and you should be good to go.

Another thread also suggested hydrogen peroxide to combat mold. It might be a better smelling way to go . . . . I'm not a fan of the bleach smell. I'd use the same cleaning plan although peroxide should be safe to use at full strength.
 

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
420
Agreeing with the bleach mixture and isopods. If isopods aren't a possibility, try cleaning the cage, and replacing the substrate... and keeping it drier. I've heard that helps. :)
 

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Joined
Aug 2, 2010
Messages
255
I have isopods in a few other cages. I got this cage used from my dads friend so I can see were it got the mold.
 

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 16, 2007
Messages
354
You should ask yourself, why do you think the mould is a threat to your tarantula, and isnt the bleach more of a threat?
Ive covered this issue a number of times in this forum so its certainly worth a search. Mould is a naturally occuring issue with damp enclosures that lack ventilation. Its therefore easily remedied by drying the enclosure out and improving ventilation.
I don't believe any tarantula has been reported of dying from mould, they don't live in mould-less environments in the wild, infact many live in precisely this environment.
 

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Joined
Aug 2, 2010
Messages
255
You should ask yourself, why do you think the mould is a threat to your tarantula, and isnt the bleach more of a threat?
Ive covered this issue a number of times in this forum so its certainly worth a search. Mould is a naturally occuring issue with damp enclosures that lack ventilation. Its therefore easily remedied by drying the enclosure out and improving ventilation.
I don't believe any tarantula has been reported of dying from mould, they don't live in mould-less environments in the wild, infact many live in precisely this environment.
Well in the wild the mortality rate is much much higher than in captivity. Also I have read about tarantulas having mold get stuck on the bottom of their abdomen and it gets in their bOok lungs. Mold is a big deal and bleach evaporates in a few days. I just want to know how to use it safely.
 

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Messages
1,659
You should ask yourself, why do you think the mould is a threat to your tarantula, and isnt the bleach more of a threat?
Ive covered this issue a number of times in this forum so its certainly worth a search. Mould is a naturally occuring issue with damp enclosures that lack ventilation. Its therefore easily remedied by drying the enclosure out and improving ventilation.
I don't believe any tarantula has been reported of dying from mould, they don't live in mould-less environments in the wild, infact many live in precisely this environment.
+1 You can wipe it off, take the bits out of the substrate and then add some ventilation and let it dry out. I wouldn't use bleach at all. If you are intent on scrapping the entire substrate and cleaning use a mild soap, but makes sure that you rinse every last bit of it out.
 

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Joined
Aug 2, 2010
Messages
255
You really can't wipe it off. I have tried a few months ago when I got this tarantula. I noticed some mold and just wiped it off. Now it has covered the entire area the tarantula was on. Wiping it off will NOT work.
 

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Messages
1,659
You really can't wipe it off. I have tried a few months ago when I got this tarantula. I noticed some mold and just wiped it off. Now it has covered the entire area the tarantula was on. Wiping it off will NOT work.
Wiping it off once won't because it will let out spores, so it will take a few times of wiping and a lot of drying out; but it can work in most cases and had in all cases that we have encountered personally.
 

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 16, 2007
Messages
354
whatever method you use is down to personal opinion, but unless you do something to remedy why it appeared in the first place your cure will only be temporary. Moulds and fungus are airborne, and just waiting for an inviting damp badly ventilated enclosure to settle in.
Here's one of my enclosures for P. cambridgei, it has mould and moss and even fungus growing in there sometimes. I've had 5 sacs from her since this pic was taken.

 
Last edited:
Top