How bad is Psalmopoeus Sp.

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
I have been into the hobby not for long, started with a Caribena versicolor and a Brachypelma emilia, soon after i got a Avic. jurensis, Avic. Sp. kwitara, Ybyrapora diversipes, Grammostola pulchra, a GBB and a lightning fast Dolichothele diamantinensis.
I read quite a lot in Arachnoboards, did also a lot of research before bringing any species, prepared the enclosures before ordering, etc. So far i got 3 moults, 0 deaths and a lot of voracious slings (feeding them every 3 days) apart from the B.emilia who only eats every now and then.

I really want to go for the Psalmopoeus genus (by far my favourite one), i know that they can be a bit more defensive and have a more potent poison than the average NW tarantula (even if not medically significant can ruin a couple of days). Also, i am well aware that beside being extremely fast they are also a fast grow genus and in 1 year they will have a decent size. Keep also in mind that i don't handle and i provide them with proper enclosures. For this particular genus i am planing a enclosure with 6cm substrate so they can burrow (while slings) and a inclined cork bark because they are arboreal, with good ventilation and a water dish.

Every store that i contacted told me that P. cambridgei, P. pulcher and P. reduncus with proper attention can be beginner friendly with not much to worry. About P.victori and P.ecclesiasticus some say its beginner others say its medium, P.irminia is pretty unanimous they all go for advance.

Now i am inclined for P. cambridgei and P. victori, i do feel enough confidence to keep them and their speed doesn't actually scares me. But, i do have to ask the question to more experienced keepers, is it a good idea or are they that bad?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I have been into the hobby not for long, started with a Caribena versicolor and a Brachypelma emilia, soon after i got a Avic. jurensis, Avic. Sp. kwitara, Ybyrapora diversipes, Grammostola pulchra, a GBB and a lightning fast Dolichothele diamantinensis.
I read quite a lot in Arachnoboards, did also a lot of research before bringing any species, prepared the enclosures before ordering, etc. So far i got 3 moults, 0 deaths and a lot of voracious slings (feeding them every 3 days) apart from the B.emilia who only eats every now and then.

I really want to go for the Psalmopoeus genus (by far my favourite one), i know that they can be a bit more defensive and have a more potent poison than the average NW tarantula (even if not medically significant can ruin a couple of days). Also, i am well aware that beside being extremely fast they are also a fast grow genus and in 1 year they will have a decent size. Keep also in mind that i don't handle and i provide them with proper enclosures. For this particular genus i am planing a enclosure with 6cm substrate so they can burrow (while slings) and a inclined cork bark because they are arboreal, with good ventilation and a water dish.

Every store that i contacted told me that P. cambridgei, P. pulcher and P. reduncus with proper attention can be beginner friendly with not much to worry. About P.victori and P.ecclesiasticus some say its beginner others say its medium, P.irminia is pretty unanimous they all go for advance.

Now i am inclined for P. cambridgei and P. victori, i do feel enough confidence to keep them and their speed doesn't actually scares me. But, i do have to ask the question to more experienced keepers, is it a good idea or are they that bad?
Not that bad actually. Thought it be worse. P. cam is my first and only arboreal and as long as you are careful and make sure you know where it is at all times, which isn't that hard with them...you should be OK. Ofcourse every specimen is different!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
My experience with the Psalmopoeus species was quite fun if you're prepared and cautious. I think you'll be fine taking care of those species. As long as you're self-aware and are sure you are prepared then it should be okay to have them.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Definitely manageable with care and caution. P. cam was the rowdiest Spider I had prior to it hooking out. Second rehouse I did the standard poke on leg with brush to get it to move. Did not move in the direction I hoped, instead did a 180 and jumped on brush in full on bite mode. I could feel the fang impacts vibrating the handle of brush.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Not that bad actually. Thought it be worse. P. cam is my first and only arboreal and as long as you are careful and make sure you know where it is at all times, which isn't that hard with them...you should be OK. Ofcourse every specimen is different!
Speaking of has it grown on you any yet!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Psalmopoeus are considered intermediate due to their speed and propensity to be defensive. I would not call them beginner friendly. Also, they might have slightly more toxic venom and have no urticating hair defense. That is why they are considered to be the stepping stone species to getting Poecilotheria.
They are significantly different to Avicularia - in nearly every aspect of their care and temperament.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Speaking of has it grown on you any yet!
Hahaha it has it has! The little bugger went into premolt after 1 feed, built a tube web, and stayed in there boring me until it molted.

Now that it popped out 2x the size, with a beautiful metallic olive carapace, and spends the 2nd half of the day perched on the tippy top of the cork bark....it has definitely grown on me!

I dont know if it was you or not that said I'm going to get the Psalmo that doesn't stay on the ground after I flipped the enclosure.....well thats exactly what happened. Dirt curtain built day 1....never visited again lol!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They're all generally considered intermediate, basically the next step up from Iridopelma/Ybyrapora.

The easiest ones in my experience are cambridgei (because I never see mine), irminia (mine has always been pretty well behaved), and langenbucheri. I'm told reduncus are meant to be alright as well.

The more difficult ones (although still not too bad) are ecclesiasticus (easily the fastest in the genus, pretty defensive, and not as drought-tolerant as the rest), pulcher (all 3 of mine have been scatty and kinda defensive), and victori (all 3 of mine have been pretty defensive).

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've raised a bunch of cambridgi slings from 2i to adulthood in under a year so they're an amazingly fast growing species, beautiful and amazing eaters. I had one big ole cutie of a girl that was super sweet.....

Have like half dozen irminia slings and a pulcher right now, was thinking about adding a ecclesiasticus as well..... definitely a very fast genus but quite amazingly beautiful. Irminia had slightly more spicy and mean attitudes, cambridgi most calm. I have a pulcher sling that's eaten every day right now and it's amazing.

*Don't recommend handling and tarantulas in general except maybe very nice new world's during a transfer, this photo was when I was 16 and transferring her to set up Rubbermaid. She's fast enough to easily escape and did so once from my hand to arm and leg then closet where it took and hour to find her. Don't handle unless you have to! I don't mind taking a bite from something like that and have been bit/stung by many things so not biggest deal. Mynicestcambredgifemalegoneinalocaltrade-.jpg

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hahaha it has it has! The little bugger went into premolt after 1 feed, built a tube web, and stayed in there boring me until it molted.

Now that it popped out 2x the size, with a beautiful metallic olive carapace, and spends the 2nd half of the day perched on the tippy top of the cork bark....it has definitely grown on me!

I dont know if it was you or not that said I'm going to get the Psalmo that doesn't stay on the ground after I flipped the enclosure.....well thats exactly what happened. Dirt curtain built day 1....never visited again lol!
Well im glad to hear it has grown on you! Arboreals are pretty amazing, didn’t want you to miss out!

amd yeah I think it may have been me or at least in that same thread If it wasnt. But that’s what cool they are all their own individuals!!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
They're all generally considered intermediate, basically the next step up from Iridopelma/Ybyrapora.

The easiest ones in my experience are cambridgei (because I never see mine), irminia (mine has always been pretty well behaved), and langenbucheri. I'm told reduncus are meant to be alright as well.

The more difficult ones (although still not too bad) are ecclesiasticus (easily the fastest in the genus, pretty defensive, and not as drought-tolerant as the rest), pulcher (all 3 of mine have been scatty and kinda defensive), and victori (all 3 of mine have been pretty defensive).
Hmmmm.

Very interesting. Everything I've read seems to say cams are the least reclusive!

But like smotzer said....all individuals!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think that as long as you're prepared for the fact that they can be very fast during rehousings and can have a somewhat cantankerous attitude, you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend them as someone's first arboreal tarantula, but it sounds like you've already had a few. So far they're honestly my favorite species. Husbandry is really easy, they're fast growing, and make an impressive display animal. My female is always out in the open looking for a meal. As long as you don't tong feed or put your hands directly into the enclosure, you should be fine. A bite from one of these guys would hurt, but it isn't medically significant. 100% recommend! My favorite spider in my collection.

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
I'm a new owner with two p. cambridgei slings. I got them both as surprise freebies, one with my first order in April and the second with another order in July. The first one is very shy, always in his tunnel when I'm doing maintenance. I fell in love with him from the first day. The second one shows a bit more of courage/character. She's a very active hunter, a few days ago she attacked water droplets I wasn't expecting that. She's so fast...

I have a very bolty N. Incei sling and he taught me to always be careful and expect the worst. I'm inexperienced so I take additional precautions that more experience keepers don't take, for example, I always open enclosures in a bigger container and I always have a catch cup ready. I've never needed it, but I feel safer that way.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cams are least reclusive then pulcher then irminia. I’ve owned the last 2. And with what cold blood has described with his cams vs his irminia, and others, this is how I see it.

Wouldn’t call them beginners though

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Hmmmm.

Very interesting. Everything I've read seems to say cams are the least reclusive!

But like smotzer said....all individuals!
Yeah, that's what I read as well but both of mine have been total recluses and bitterly disappointing, I only got the second one after everyone insisted the first was a fluke but apparently uber reclusive cams are actually pretty common (as are irminia that don't hide).

Cams are least reclusive then pulcher then irminia.
IME

Most visible - pulcher > irminia > every other species from the genus > cambridgei - Least visble

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Each spider is unique in attitude, as example, my G.pulchra (3cm) and my D.diamantinensis (2cm) are kinda little spawns of hell. Surprisingly for me the first one after the last moult charges recklessly everything that moves in her enclosure and then teleport immediately to her burrow sometimes even forgets the food (and runs back to grab it). The second... what a nice piece of work, every time i open her enclosure i can hear the theme song from "Twilight zone" after all it's where i am about to enter, either she completely ignores me while doing her webbing right in the open in front of me, or gives me a threat pose (yes a 2cm sling) or try to escape, she loathes and refuse every food that its not a cricket, moody and picky tarantula.

The Avics and Ybyraporas spend all day being boring and sweet in their funnel web, extremely easy for husbandry and feeding, my GGB and B.emilia just sit in a cork bark in the corner and pretend they are rocks, i open the enclosure and they don't care, while feeding... well both are probably in premoult, this last week they didn't show any interest and both have a good healthy abdomen.

I actually don't mind if they are reclusive or not, when they show its good to see them, if they hide i cant do anything about it, so ill just wait for a opportunity to see them.

Regarding the P.irminia it is my understanding that in the P.genus she is the nastier, more reclusive and defensive (standard idea not every individual) with the most potent poison in NW Ts. Due to that before getting it it is advised to have a bit more experience as keeper. Also, for me, sexual dysmorphism is a big let down, if lucky its a beautiful female if not its just a grey male.

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Not hard at all, IF you give them a adequate hide - one they can completely disappear into. 3 of my 4 species go into their hides when I open their enclosure, the exception being my P. cambridgei, who sits out hoping I will drop a roach in so she can dive on it.