How active/out and about are AFS?

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am planning on adding another scorpion to my collection (I caught the bug), I have a baby emperor that has made a tunnel around the pothos plant pot(he sticks his head out at most I have only seen him come out like 3 times since I have had him for the last 2 months), I have a Desert Hairy that is always out and about, and I have a Red Claw that comes out at night and sometimes in the day time (I see this guy way more then my emperor in a day then I have my emperor since the first day I bought him).

I know most scorpions are pet holes is the Asian Forest Scorpion (AFS) an exception? If any AFS owners can chime in? I know the caresheet lists them the same as a emperor care wise, but personality wise I am unsure whether they are aggressive or extremely docile or habits that they have.

I want my next scorpion to be somewhat active as I do enjoy watching them come out and do whatever it is they do, whether it be climbing the glass or just bathing in the water or under the heat lamp.

I also have 2 other choices, either a Olive-Keeled Flatrock, which I heard you will basically never see and a Adult female Babycurus Jacksoni (unsure the age) as well.

I would get a R. Junc, but I cant find a local one and I dont want to pay shipping to buy him/her online. :/

Thanks

Last edited:

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Not to be ignorant, but what is an AFS?

R. junceus is quite active, too bad you don't want to get one online. I can understand. Between the choices you have, I would say B. jacksoni, although I have never kept this particular species. Wish I could help more. Good luck!;)

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Asian forest scorpion, sorry lol

He's 15 bucks at a pet shop, but will cost me like 70 bucks including the scorpion in total to get him/her a enclosure + lid, heat lamp, and some aesthetics (I hate plain boring enclosures)

Yeah there is a adult female one at this repltile store, not sure the age they want 30 bucks for her, I have a small kritter keeper already just lying around and substrate (cocofiber and some forest bark).

Cost really isnt an issue (to an extent) I just want a semi active scorpion lol.

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have some afs and they are fairly active and are about almost every other night and every now and then in the day

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A lot more active and out then a emperor right?

From what I hear from most people is that their emperor hides 90% of the time, and then there are a select few that actually see theirs, I know each scorpion has its own individual personality and trait but they dont stray too far from their roots (IE pet hole)

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Another reason I am wanting to know is cause my sister bought me the ASF that I have been eying all this time lol. So much for choices :p

Here are some pics if someone could help me ID the species that be great. I plan on putting into a 5-10 gal with my next check as I already have a IR lamp and sub for it. I am going to predig a burrow and see how that goes.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The ones I had were "active" in that every night they would come out and wander around the tank. They also enjoyed bathing under the heat lamps every now and then. During the daytime and nighttime, they would also often dig their burrows deeper. The key to getting more activity out of them is by giving them heat. Their tank was around 80-85 degrees F warm side and ~75 cool side.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah i know heat makes them more active/outgoing, unless its the emperor lol

It burrows as much as a emperor?

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had active emperor scorps too, that's why I stress providing heat. I don't know the behavioral differences between the two (if there is any).

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah I got a 50w IR lamp ready for it

Its in a KK now sitting off to the side of a IR lamp for right now til I get paid, he gets plenty of heat.

I just dont want another pet hole lol

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Ive had a few... and like other scorpions ones "personality" can greatly differ from individual to individual.

I find them to much more aggressive than an emperor.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Het is a pet hole. She only comes out extremely late at night or when i am feeding her.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hey bayushi, I got the het from the mall pet store, i guess they had baby ones too lol.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah i was there yesterday, but only got crickets. I got my Het from them maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago. She appears to be gravid, so i am hoping to have a brood here before I go to Utah for my Scorp hunt.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not really sure. I made a guess at mine being a H loaticus, but I could very likely be 100% wrong.