Housing tarantulas in a community...

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hear that you should never house tarantulas in a community, but i also heard that some species it works with and they "usually" don't kill each other. Can someone let me know what species, if any live good in a community? Also, will they have to live together from slings, and so on? or what? i need details! Haha. Thanks!!!=D

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Invadermike,
I have four A.avicularias and I keep them in pairs. I have Ebony and Ivory in one cage and Salt and Pepper in another cage. So far so good. I think its just important to put plenty of food in just incase one is a pig and the other isn't so it can still eat before its all gone. This morning Ebony & Ivory were both out of their webs and walking around right by each other and not acting violent at all. I can't remember who, but I know someone was doing this with the P.regalis slings. The last I read on it everyone was still alive and didn't eat each other yet. I started mine off as slings and now they are over 1 1/2" a piece. I'm keeping a close eye on them just incase the bigger they get then I might have to separate them. Hope this helps you a little bit. I wouldn't do this with any other species myself.
Becky

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most tarantulas kept in a community are Avicularia species but from everything I've read even these setups usually end in failure and one large fat spider. I've heard of people trying it with Poecilotheria species too. I think it is just best to keep them in separate enclosures to avoid putting any spiders at risk with this sort of set up. Spiders do not need companionship from other spiders, they are loners, people who think their spiders are lonely are attributing human traits of loneliness to their spiders, they just don't have those feelings.

Andy

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Until I traded them I had two Avicularia avicularia living together for many months. Now the pet store that has them still keeps them together as a pair for sale.

Nathan Danger

Arachnopeon
today at a pet store here they had four avicularia avicularia in one tank...and as i looked on one of them walked right on top of another and the one that was getting walked on was like "eff that...i'll bite you mofo....or at least show you my fangs....jerk" and it proceeded to chase the other one away....the one that was being chased was like "oh man, i'm sorry...i didn't mean to walk on yo sh*t." and the less passive one was like "fine fool...whatever" and everything went back to normal in the tank....i was like "darn...that was close. i'm glad they didn't rumble." the pet store guy was like..."aww yeah" and then i left soon after and this guy on the radio said "this next one is by the gin blossoms." then till i hear it from you started playing and i rocked out! so eat that!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nathan is the greatest. I am so glad you got into the hobby.

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
from what i know, you can onlyput tarantula in a community when they are still spiderling. but when they grow-up, you still need to separate them.