Housing Size for 1.5" GBB?

Phases

Arachnoknight
Heya all,

I have a 1.5" (btw is that still considered a sling?) Green Bottle Blue coming in the mail tomorrow. What is the acceptable size, range, for first enclosures?

I guess I'd be most interested in biggest acceptable, but smallest would do to. Biggest so I could delay a move up for a while while s/he grows :)

Can someone give a good x by x by x or 'half gallon' or some other good estimation? I need to put something together tonight. I suspect I'll have to make the lid, though.

I read a terrestrial OR arboreal setup will do. True?

Thanks, I'm very excited! Ordered from https://fearnottarantulas.com - first online order.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
A good guideline is to have it about 2 times the diagonal leg span deep, and 3 times the DLS wide. So for a sling that size, it's a container with a footprint of roughly 3 X 4.5 inches. A 4 inch diameter deli cup sounds ideal to me, if you can snag one at the local supermarket deli.

I'm not sure if there's a hard cutoff between sling and juvenile due to the different-sized species out there. I consider anything below 2 inches DLS to be a sling for most species.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Well, wondering if that applies more to adults, cuz the slings would outgrow it fast? I guess I was hoping to size up. Sounds like even if I found a 8 x 8 x 8 cube that might be too big. Maybe not though once full of stuff. I want to find something nice for display. One of these new beta fish cubes or something.

Actually I have a square jar that is about 4 x 4 x 4, I wonder if that would do. Only ventilation would be out the top, though...

Edit: Oh also have hexagon 1 gallon plastic fish tank that is not in use.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It's just a fact of life, you do rehousing more when they are slings because they are growing at a much faster rate than when they're adults.

A lot of containers could work. There are several ways to skin a cat. I have lots of slings, and I would probably put one that size in one of these (even though it's slightly on the large side):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9QVOS2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, you have to drill ventilation holes on two sides and fill it pretty high with substrate, but it is a nice display box IMO. Most people would just go with the 4 inch deli container because they're free and easy to find.

Phases

Arachnoknight
That's what I'm talking about, right there. Nice. Yeah basically i'm looking for "I wouldn't go any larger than..." to get an idea of my limit. My Jar is a hair smaller than that, and the hexagon gallon tank a hair larger.

Phases

Arachnoknight
..hey, I could just add extra substrate in the gallon tank..

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I have my gbb of the same size in a 16L×13W×7H sterlite tub so hes got enough room to web like this species is known to. He seems content, explores fairly well, and has no issues finding food. I posted pics when i set it up and most of the responses were "You could have gone smaller, but they do like to web, so you should be good".

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Deli cups are the most convenient for slings, mostly because setup and rehousing is hardly a chore. Most T keepers save display-worthy setups for when they are mature, or at least close to mature. For small spiders, the less complicated the enclosure, the better off you'll be. GBBs grow fairly quickly. So you'll be there in no time:)

Also, they are terrestrial. And top ventilation is okay, as they prefer dry conditions. Fantastic webbers! You'll enjoy the water dish battle;)

Phases

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll post what we got going tonight. Hopefully I don't get hammered for it because it took us a while to sort out and I think it's going to be pretty cool.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Ok. We had a sweet round setup in mind, but after much reading we realized the mantis' would do better in that, with higher humidity, and this guy needs more airflow, and dryer. So I painfully moved the mantises to the round enclosure, and used theirs for this guy. It's a vertical nano. When all said and done its 7.5 x 7.5 x 9h. Average is about 2.5" substrate.

I know I'll get scolded for the rocks, but after reading about them a while this is what I came up with, and put lots of tiers above to break falls. I want to give 'er lots of options, so I tried to set a couple potential ground areas up, and make the transition up easy. Btw the fern like stuff at the top half is hot glue gun'd on. Really limited on what I had around to use, what you see in the pictures is about it. So, no good ol standard hideaway (yet?).

Might be risky, I can scale down if needed, but if I don't, this could last a while. Thoughts?

20170619_224337.jpg 20170619_224427.jpg 20170619_224438.jpg 20170619_224416.jpg 20170619_224448.jpg

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Ok. We had a sweet round setup in mind, but after much reading we realized the mantis' would do better in that, with higher humidity, and this guy needs more airflow, and dryer. So I painfully moved the mantises to the round enclosure, and used theirs for this guy. It's a vertical nano. When all said and done its 7.5 x 7.5 x 9h. Average is about 2.5" substrate.

I know I'll get scolded for the rocks, but after reading about them a while this is what I came up with, and put lots of tiers above to break falls. I want to give 'er lots of options, so I tried to set a couple potential ground areas up, and make the transition up easy. Btw the fern like stuff at the top half is hot glue gun'd on. Really limited on what I had around to use, what you see in the pictures is about it. So, no good ol standard hideaway (yet?).

Might be risky, I can scale down if needed, but if I don't, this could last a while. Thoughts?

View attachment 243745 View attachment 243747 View attachment 243748 View attachment 243746 View attachment 243749
They are "semi" arboreal, so they can climb fairly well given the oppurtunity. Youve got a lot of good potential for some interesting webbing. In my research (and so far with my sling) ive found they usually end up making their own hide out of web so you should honestly be fine there. 2 things: the heavy webbing may effect the way the front opening door works. Plus theyre kinda skittish and that could be risky, but if youve got common sense and good reflexes it should be fine. Second thing: I hope youve got a piece of plexiglass or something to put on top of that. It seems silly to say, but some people dont know tarantulas can climb glass. Im sure you know, but im the kind of guy that likes to make sure.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Thanks! Yea I had the lid off :)

I'm very excited about this one!

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Thanks! Yea I had the lid off :)

I'm very excited about this one!
I forgot to mention that while mine does well in a larger enclosure, individuals vary and yours may stick to its favorite corner and not leave it much. Wouldnt let it bug you, though, itll move around more as it grows. Just gotta make sure the crickets (or whatever feeders) go close enough for it to find if it acts reclusive.

Phases

Arachnoknight
I cannot believe how excited I am, as a 38 year old man.

..so close!

"7:35 am At local FedEx facility NASHVILLE, TN"

Supposed to arrive at 10:30am, but sadly, I won't be able to unbox till later this afternoon.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member

View attachment 243745 View attachment 243747 View attachment 243748 View attachment 243746 View attachment 243749
Thats 1. Waaaaay too big. 2. an arboreal enclosure with way too much vertical space.....that enclosure should be taken of the table and not even considered....save it for an adult arboreal.

Phases

Arachnoknight
I dunno man. In the wild I suspect they aren't contained to a tiny container. But, if it looks like I should move it down an notch I can, I have smaller 7 x 7 x 9 which would end up bring 7 x 7 x 6 or so after substrate.

But, she's in there and immediately got to webbing. At the top. They are partial arboreal so I was under the impression this would be okay.

I suspect she'll do fine, I put enough in there and wanted her to have room to grow so I don't have to tear up and rehouse. I don't suspect they like that much. :)

So, we'll consider it an experiment. I'll keep everyone updated through the week and change her to something smaller Friday if it is leaning that way. Pics to come!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
If you filled it 3/4 of the way up with substrate, it might be an OK terrestrial setup for a 2.5-3.5 inch T. That does waste a lot of substrate, so it's easier to get something with less height, or at least put a closed empty container in the bottom so you don't need to use so much.

You're right. There is no reason to have rocks in there. Nothing good can come of it.