Housing new slings

illcosby

Arachnopeon
sorry i'm a noob to the hobby... i just got my first two slings today, they're both tiny about 1/4in, Acanthoscurria chacoana (Bolivian Salmon) and Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee) i bought them from Swift's Inverebrates. I have them housed in two small Exo-Terra Faunarium Plastic Terrariums (7"W X 4.25"D X 5.5"H ). I am using coconut fiber as substrate. When i put them into their new homes they both seem to have burrowed into the substrate and i can't really see them... is this behavior normal?? help! any other tips are appreciated!

thanks alot
Ian

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is an opportunistic burrowing species. It's very normal for this species to hide in a burrow as slings. Luckily my slings prefer to make their burrows next to the cage walls so they are visible. Mine are always out showing off so hopefully you'll see yours more often once they feel comfortable in their new home.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a 3/4" smithi that never seems to hide so maybe when she gets bigger she will come out more. :?

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yikes!

At 1/4", those slings can probably escape from your KK through the slots along the top! A small deli cup (like the size your fry sauce comes in) would be about the right size, with some super tiny holes for ventilation. They'll have trouble locating prey in the large containers as well. General rule as the slings grow is for container's diameter to be not much more than 2 to 4 times the sling's legspan, and for there to be no more that about 1.5 times the legspan between the substrate and the lid of the container. And yes, these mostly tend to burrow as small slings, but will be more visible as they grow. Good luck!

illcosby

Arachnopeon
oh no..! now i'm worried that they will escape while i'm at work... so if they are still in the containers would it be advisable to move them to something smaller? they were shipped in little plastic cups like for ketchup or whatever (deli cups? i think) do you think it would be better to house them in these? do i even need to use substrate for such a small container? sorry i have so many questions.. thanks for your help everyone!

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh no..! now i'm worried that they will escape while i'm at work... so if they are still in the containers would it be advisable to move them to something smaller? they were shipped in little plastic cups like for ketchup or whatever (deli cups? i think) do you think it would be better to house them in these? do i even need to use substrate for such a small container? sorry i have so many questions.. thanks for your help everyone!
YES!! Definitely move them back into the small deli cups they were shipped in. They will also like some substrate and it should be kept damp for slings that size and i mist mine three times a week because i added a lot of holes for ventilation. Not only will it be a lot easier to keep track of the little devils in a smaller container but they will have an easier time finding food and won't be able to escape. It's kind of scary when they are that tiny but they will grow to a more reasonable size soon enough. Hopefully they just burrowed in their new homes and haven't been out exploring enough to find the large opening in the top before you get home. Definitely move them back, with a small amount of damp substrate and give us an update. Good luck!

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely move them to something smaller. Clear pill vials with holes in the top (small ones) or for species that need better ventilation in the sides of the vials as well--you can make them with a hot paper clip are great. Unlike the deli cups you can actually see your slings which is a great plus in my opinion.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Keep them in the cups they were shipped in. Use substrate. One side damp, not wet. Let us know if you find them when you get home. Pill vials are fine, but DON"T WAIT, MOVE THEM RIGHT AWAY! Good luck.

illcosby

Arachnopeon
ok update
i took an extra long lunch break and went home. luckily my babies were still in their containers.. both had burrowed in the substrate into the corners of their tanks. so i put them back into the deli cups with some moist substrate. the cups seem awfully small to me but there they will stay until i can get some vials. thanks alot for your help an advice everyone! {D

illcosby

Arachnopeon
haha i'm so relived. i was really worried about an escape!

while i was transferring my A. chacoana i also got my first experience "handling" a T. while i was trying to scoop him into the deli cup it ran up my hand and rested on my arm! but he (she?) is all safe and sound now :D

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Glad to hear it:D .

Even though those deli cups look small, remember that your slings are babies. Think about putting a human baby in an area the size of your living room and expecting it to find the food in the furthest corner. Then put legs on that food and have it try to run away. I'm sure this scale puts at least part of the difficulty of having a tiny sling in a relatively large keeper in perspective. That coupled with issues of escape, and the fact that most terrestrial slings will burrow (even if adults of the species don't) make larger containers a poor idea.

The advantage of a vial over a deli cup is that there is more room for substrate which allows for more burrowing as well as being able to see in for you (although seeing the hole that is the top of the burrow isn't much fun either:} ). If you're lucky the sling will burrow along the vial and you can see it in there.

Welcome to a facinating hobby.

---Jen

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, I prefer the pill vials to the little deli cups too. They are also sturdier. I just meant he shouldn't wait to find or order a pill vial, he needed to get them out of the critter keeper RIGHT AWAY!!!!{D {D {D

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I didn't move my B smithi to a small KK until it hit 1", then he burried himself til he hit about 1.5", now he is 2" and is out and about all the time.

GL with your new T's