Housing multiple T's same aquarium w/ divider

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Im not so sure your E. campestratus was bothered by its neighbor. Could be they are hungry? Thats what Ts do when there is no food on the end of the tongs.. Bite the tongs. {D Along with the water dish filling and the occational breath of air to signal food.

As far as divided cages go: If they are built with separate locking lids there should be no issue unless you open both lids at the same time. As long as there is no gap at the bottom top or sides for escape of course.

Divided cages dont kill tarantulas, the builder that doesnt put in time and effort along with common sense does. ;)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As long as that divider was glass or acrylic, your Ts did not sense each other and that is not why they were like that. Do you normally feed with tongs?

tass

Arachnopeon
it was a mesh type divider with a plastic frame that i put together. I did not feed these two with tongs i just dropped crix in there and they ate em up.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it was a mesh type divider with a plastic frame that i put together. I did not feed these two with tongs i just dropped crix in there and they ate em up.
Well since it was mesh, they probably detected each other and when you put the tongs in, it perceived it as that other T.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Dividing a large tank into multiple sections is perfectly fine. I've been doing this for years and know people who have also been doing this for years, and everything is A-OK. Obviously if they can escape thru some cracks or whatever, that is not good- but I dont think that is what the OP is asking.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dividing a large tank into multiple sections is perfectly fine. I've been doing this for years and know people who have also been doing this for years, and everything is A-OK. Obviously if they can escape thru some cracks or whatever, that is not good- but I dont think that is what the OP is asking.
Dividing a tank can be done, with research and some smarts and no one is saying it can't be done. However, have you divided your tanks with a plastic mesh divider? That is what the OP did in this case, do you recommend that method? If a T can rip through metal screen, what do you think the eventual outcome of this enclosure would be?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
That is what the OP did in this case, do you recommend that method? If a T can rip through metal screen, what do you think the eventual outcome of this enclosure would be?
I would say only divide a tank with a piece of glass that has had the edge sanded and is sealed into place . I first tried with "mess aquarium" dividers and I think it caused stress on the Ts because they were aware of each other . Now I only use glass and plant heavily on both sides of the divider so they never really see each other .

tass

Arachnopeon
I would say only divide a tank with a piece of glass that has had the edge sanded and is sealed into place . I first tried with "mess aquarium" dividers and I think it caused stress on the Ts because they were aware of each other . Now I only use glass and plant heavily on both sides of the divider so they never really see each other .

yeah that seemed to be the case, the are both in separate containers now and back to being not so crazy.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Dividing a tank can be done, with research and some smarts and no one is saying it can't be done. However, have you divided your tanks with a plastic mesh divider? That is what the OP did in this case, do you recommend that method? If a T can rip through metal screen, what do you think the eventual outcome of this enclosure would be?
Thats why I said as long as the T cant escape his enclosure it would be fine. Breakouts are a different issue alltogether and are not good for any enclosure, divided or single. And no, I divide mine with plexiglass.