housing for H. "longipedum"

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok now I know what it is now I need to know about humidity and how deep the substrate should be. I gotta to move this nasty little thing so I can put more in...that will be fun. also does it need a hide or not.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what I just read. Its a burrowing T, that can and will sometimes build a web tube on the surface.
As far as how deep. I'd give it as much substrate as possible.
Wet the substrate down in another container, then add it to the enclosure.

Ern

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have 2 of these spiders. one is a juvie fem, @ 5 in . she likes to climb and has never tried to burrow. she just hides behind her corkbark whem she is wanting to be ignored. she has also attacked metal probes while her water was being changed. be careful. the smaller male?, @4 in, likes to burrow, and will hide his dead prey in this manner. he will climb if given the option. they are both in 10 gal aquariums with the middle door so they can be turned on the sides, with barricasdes made from plastic shopping bags/duct tape. there is a large piece of corkbark leaning in a back corner and an artificial leaf spray in an adjacent top corner for foliage. i keep these misted, and use @3-5 inches of 50/50 mixture peatmoss and vermiculite. the fem will take pinkies, but the male buried his alive. they also both have water dishes. the male burrowed more in a medium kritter keeper, so this may also work for you. oh there is also a clean toilet paper roll in each cage because i found many of my t's like them. hope this helps!=D

Kristin

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

IMHO, the substrate schould be minimum 15 cm deep. If you can give some more.

In this thread you will find photos and infos how I keep my Haplopelma species (like my Haplopelma sp. "longipdeum") and other obligate burrowers and how to construct tanks for them in which you can see and observe them without digging them out: >>click me<<

Haplopelma spec. "longipedum" (female)

Haplopelma spec. "longipedum" (adult malet)

all the best,
Martin

www.spiderpix.com
www.dearge.de