Housing Curly Haired Tarantula

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Ours is extremely docile. She hasn't flicked any hairs. She never darts. We haven't handled her at all because we are still nervous. I have heard it isn't good for them either. So I plan to do some research before deciding.
We are impressed with her behavior. She isn't intimidating for us newbies.
Handling.... can be done but it is strongly recommended that you dont. Mostly because anything could happen. Its dangerous for the handler and the spider, because the slightest sudden movement could make the spider attempt to run (which could result in a fall to its death) or could cause a bite to the handler. This is also a risk because if it bites, youre probably gonna fling it and it will die. A spiders attitude could change at any second and theres no way to predict it. However, the safe way to handle, should you decide to risk it, is to do it close to the floor so it wont fall too far if it bolts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Will she be ok? I'm so nervous we have moved her around a bit too much. Any advice would be appreciated.
Your T will be fine.

What specific advice do you need? The question you asked is like asking someone "I need advice on raising a child" :rolleyes:

Asking for "any" advice is a waste of people's time, yours included, as you may already know the information someone is going to type.

Pointed questions always more helpful.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes it is a Brachypelma Albopilosum.
My hubby dumped all the old substrate out so there isn't any in the old enclosure right now. All that's in there is a piece of cork wood. Should I put some of the substrate in there with her for now? Maybe use some that's already baked and cooled off? Or should we wait until we are done getting the new enclosure ready with dryer substrate. We baked it for a good 30 min and ringing all the water out. The substrate is still a bit damp but not sopping like it was. Sorry we are so new at all of this.
This is her old enclosure but once again no substrate bc my hubby dumped it. We were just putting her in there until we fixed her new enclosure.
If you don't put anything in, most terrestrial Ts will take matters into their own hands and lay down a mat of silk. If you have sub, why not put it in?

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Could we add top soil or should we keep with the coco fiber?
When we add the extra substrate, should we remove her or maybe work around her. From reading your comments we need to double the substrate. I want to do it whatever way is less stressful for her.
Stick with coco fiber only, in my opinion, because it is cleaner (no organic matter or manure etc in it like topsoil might have). In a tank that large, I think you could put a plastic container over her when she's on one side (to keep her from running) and then pour in some substrate on the other side. Then remove plastic container, wait until she's on the higher substrate side, cover her with the container and pour in substrate on the lower side. Repeat as needed. Or just remove her and do it all at once...I'm not sure which way would be more disruptive to her. The first way would take a lot longer so maybe the all-at-once way would be better.

kayla3g

Arachnopeon
Stick with coco fiber only, in my opinion, because it is cleaner (no organic matter or manure etc in it like topsoil might have). In a tank that large, I think you could put a plastic container over her when she's on one side (to keep her from running) and then pour in some substrate on the other side. Then remove plastic container, wait until she's on the higher substrate side, cover her with the container and pour in substrate on the lower side. Repeat as needed. Or just remove her and do it all at once...I'm not sure which way would be more disruptive to her. The first way would take a lot longer so maybe the all-at-once way would be better.
We ended up doing it all at once and we did stick with the coco fibers and cypress mulch (bagged). Thank you!

kayla3g

Arachnopeon
Ok so we added more coco fibers and cypress mulch. She is climbing the walls some but the substrate is not wet it's just a bit damp. While she was climbing, I noticed this on her abdomen. Is this a cut or is this just how her abdomen looks normally? Praying that it is supposed to look like this.

Attachments

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Ok so we added more coco fibers and cypress mulch. She is climbing the walls some but the substrate is not wet it's just a bit damp. While she was climbing, I noticed this on her abdomen. Is this a cut or is this just how her abdomen looks normally? Praying that it is supposed to look like this.
That "cut" is her vagina :rofl:

kayla3g

Arachnopeon
Here is her enclosure after we added more substrate. Does this look better? We doubled the amount from before.

Attachments

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
We will definitely use the dry bags next time. This has been a pain. I feel most awful for the spider.
next time, id suggest take the brick and splitting it in half. soak half and let it expand. with the other half break it into smaller pieces and then while the other half is drying, crumble it into the drying and mix it in. the dry pieces will soak up some of the moisture as well as the evaporating water.

this is what I've been doing and its cut down the time needed to dry tremendously.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Here is her enclosure after we added more substrate. Does this look better? We doubled the amount from before.
Definitely a lot better. But that mesh top. Get rid of it. The tarantula will get its tarsal claws stuck in it and hurt itself.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Get a piece of plexi glass that will fit over the enclosure and drill or use a soldering iron and melt small holes in it, alot. Their are a ton of great diy stuff out their for replacing lids like this both on these forums and on youtube.

What I do this will work for an aquarium standing rightside instead of on its side

Another trick for the bricks is to use half the amount of water they call for they still expand and are nowhere near as wet to begin with.

kayla3g

Arachnopeon
Looks great! We will be hitting up lowes tomorrow to get some plexiglass. There are so many details we missed.

kayla3g

Arachnopeon
Definitely a lot better. But that mesh top. Get rid of it. The tarantula will get its tarsal claws stuck in it and hurt itself.
She hasn't moved in 4 hours from that same side. She hasn't went down to the substrate at all. Do you think she doesn't like it? Or do you think she is just overly stressed from all the rehousing that we have had to do?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
She hasn't moved in 4 hours from that same side. She hasn't went down to the substrate at all. Do you think she doesn't like it? Or do you think she is just overly stressed from all the rehousing that we have had to do?
Tarantulas climbing the sides is common after rehousings. It is also triggered by stress, yes. Just leave her alone as much as possible for a few days. Replacing the lid won't bother her.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hey gal stop worrying! At first the beasts will explore every bit of their new place. She'll hang there until she wants to more.
Relax. You look to me like a great T mom. You're following through on the advice, and you ask good questions. All of us were in the same boat at the beginning. :):p