Hottentotta minax

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hello!
enjoy this 2 species from arusha- tanzania.
Hottentotta minax adult couple, the female is pregnant too ;)

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Michael,

Nice picture.:)

But I dont think they are minax. In this paper it says "Dorsal keels of third and fourth metasomal segments terminate in one acute granule conspicuously larger than preceeding granules".

It looks like your specimens lack this feature.

Cheers.
Ryan

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hello!

-"Dorsal keels of third and fourth metasomal segments terminate in one acute granule conspicuously larger than preceding granules"

the 3. you cannot see at the picture so good. but the 4.segment are very bigger.

-manus fromt he males aren't bigger then the female ones.

here are some more photos, alex (nazgul) helped me with the id, it is not 100% sure, but he think so.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Michael,

Once again nice pictures. :)

Now that I can see the keels better they do look a bit larger. :) But not quite to the extent of this minax. Also states in the paper that trilineatus' granules do get larger but do not end in one conspicuously granule. But who knows, the genus is a mess right now.

Cheers.

EDIT: This thread reminded me to check out my "polystictus" and see if they match the key and picture. And guess what? They didn't and I checked the 3rd and 4th keels and they end in a conspicuously larger granule. So my "polystictus" are most likely minax. :) They also look a lot like your specimens.

Last edited:

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hello again!
thanks ;)

you are right, the genus is a mess :)

it's hard to see what species it is. i had to measure them when they are dead. but when i compare them with my trilineatus adults, the have not so larg segments. they look different.
and alex said that the manus from the males aren'T bigger then the females. and on all trilineatus males the are bigger. so i think there must be a differnt.

maybe some cunning fox help me to id this species when i preserved them. on the first look it seemed like minax. maybe... ;)
thanks for your replay. maybe some other people can investigate.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Michael,

On my newly discovered possible minax's(see edit above) the males manus is also not bigger than the females.

Cheers.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hehe, fine suprise suprise ;) my polyistictus are to small to id them yet ;) so i just can compare trili. and minax. maybe alex post some replay and his meaning, first he took me to the thinking about minax.
but definitly the first segment is larger in wide then lenght. and that'S definetly not the same then my trilienatus.