'Hot'

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

holy crap! i'm going to take extreme caution with my pokies from now on, wow! god that must have really sucked, sounded very very very painful, i'm glad its going away though,best regards--Jeff

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

also you said it was a large dose and you could see the venom running from the wound, man... by the way did you remeber what it was about the colorbands of pecilotheria that may help in sexing them? sorry i had to ask.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by gphx
If anyone would like to read a current and extensive account of a Poecilitheria regalis bite
Thanks for the great report Darrin. I hope everyone who handles this genus/species has a read of this. I worry that a lot of people new to the hobby assume this species can be handled just as easily as some of the others, like the Brachypelma (many photos of Poecilotheria spp. being handled all over the net nowadays).

I've got nothing against handling, so long as the handlers know what the possible consequences can be. BTW, your bite report is similar to many other Selenocosmiinae reports.

Steve

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eck...well I've already decided I don't want to keep those.. although maybe they're good if even down looks up :D

Perhaps you could try getting bitten by a Psalmopeus as well, maybe a P.Irminia, as I've been hearing conflicting reports about their venom? ;)

Just kidding, tho. Very nice report :)

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
vys,
if you want to send me a mature speciman (female preferably) of each of those, i'll happily test their bit for you :)

seriously.... i would.
i have incredible pain tolerance and don't mind being human fodder.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dude!!! I think even a bite from my little mouse hurts ... :(

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Devildoll
seriously.... i would.
i have incredible pain tolerance and don't mind being human fodder.
LOL, you aren't good friends with Mike 'troll' Dame per chance?

Steve

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nope.... don't know him.

if you want my address... *hrrmmm...*
hehehe

i havn't been bit yet by any of my tarantulas... but i'm just waiting... i know i will.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oooch! :eek:

Very good report from a very reliable source. I don't know what possessed you to keep updating the journal, but I guess it beat fixating on the pain. I'll be interested to find out what sort of lingering effects there are in your hand.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, no pokies for me. From the looks of things, they're starting to scare me even more than large centipedes. At least centipedes can't climb walls.

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Nasty. I'd be interested in reading about an Usambara bite. I hear they're not nearly as bad, but still put in the top 4 or 5 on the "hot" list...

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey Darrin,

No matter how sorry I am to hear you got bit, I'm glad that we now have such a wonderful account of a P. regalis bite from a very reliable source. I hope you'll keep us updated on any long term effects from the bite.

Hope you're feeling better at this point,

Scott

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have always been skeptical of bite reports too... the fact that you were once a skeptic and now report similar accounts is alot more convincing to me.

Its interesting how quick your symptoms seemed to scale back compared to most of the other reports that had several days of pain. Maybe you are tougher or maybe they were blowing things out of proportion... its still a very interesting read either way.

Glad to hear you are ok though!

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the story!

And just this morning I had my 1" P Formosa in my hand when s/he tried to escape... <shudder> I can not let the people at work read this since I am looking for a large P. regalis to put in my office...

Ropes

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Darrin!
wow... this was some good stuff...thanks for writing such a detailed account, and in that much pain!
This makes that P formosa in my armpit the other night all that much scarier LOL!
Also, I have a 3-4" P regalis loose in my house ...since last March. I'm now hoping like hell she did not survive.
Not to mention the adult female Het Mac that is also loose.
I have been pretty blase' about both, but I am now thinking of tearing my house apart.

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice report, very detailed. The venom of the Poecilotheria spec may be strong but what strikes me and I think everyone else keeping those is the incredibly beautiful appearance. I love to look at them. :)
Reading the report you can only try to not let them bite you. :D

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

not only are they the most beautiful t's in my opinion, but now that we have some more confirmation on their venom the gain all the more respect from me and become even more appealing to me, pokies are the best=D thanks darrin for the very good report i am sorry though i had no idea when i was talking to you that night that you would wind up getting bit by one of your pokies! after this ordeal did you remeber anything about the banding technique we were discussing?, thansks--Jeff

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is why i dont keep pokies.

I do have a usambara who I treat as if he carrys a deadly virus

I would like to know how bad the bites of those guys are.

I know it supposedly cuases really bad pain and somone reported numbness in the face for a year but I never read a bite report

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Wow...I'm glad your hand is improving. Your account was excellent and even more amazing considering what you were going through at the time.

I suppose it also gives us all a bit of a lesson that even when we pay attention to the behavior of our inverts, they can still cause us problems.

I hope once your symptoms and effects are through you update your report. It was very interesting and informative.

John
];')

Last edited: