Hot Ts and small children

synic

Arachnosquire
Are your hot Ts locked in a box of plexi glass? I don't think that's really necessary, considering most accidents happen when you're rehousing or feeding and whatnot, just be more attentive with the old worlds. Like others said, you can put towels by the doors, etc. Also, in my opinion, I'm not too good with children but make sure you let your daughter know not to touch any big spiders :rolleyes: I don't exactly know how you'd do this but honestly, it'd be a safety precaution if it ever happens, and better when it's not in the heat of the moment imo.
Haha, yeah, they are. To me, though, it's not really about the lock, per se, since all it would take is a drop to the floor to break that plexi glass. I feel like it'll help me be sure that I've got them properly closed away when they are in the closet. Who knows.

synic

Arachnosquire
I've really just been wracking my head over this. Though this decision is pretty hard, I've decided that it's not worth the risk. Wish I had been more thorough in my research before purchasing.

I'm willing to accept the risk of myself getting bitten, but it's just not worth the risk to her. She's everything to me.

Here's the "For free:" thread. If you're in Seattle, come get 'em!

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1855912#post1855912

Maybe when they are gone, I'll get myself a nice Avic. Any suggestions? :)

Kendage

Arachnopeon
I've really just been wracking my head over this. Though this decision is pretty hard, I've decided that it's not worth the risk. Wish I had been more thorough in my research before purchasing.

I'm willing to accept the risk of myself getting bitten, but it's just not worth the risk to her. She's everything to me.

Here's the "For free:" thread. If you're in Seattle, come get 'em!

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1855912#post1855912

Maybe when they are gone, I'll get myself a nice Avic. Any suggestions?

It's a shame you couldn't keep the Ts, but you gotta do what you gotta do. It's nice to see a father who really cares about his daughter. :D I'm sure in a few years when she grows that you'll get another opportunity, maybe one she could be included in.

As for the Avic, I've read that most are docile, and that versi's are the more aggresive ones. I have a versi sling, 1/2" atm and she's a sweetheart, attacks crickets twice her size (Pre injured, though). I just mist him with a very slight mist, usually on the walls daily. He's in pre molt right now, hoping he makes it because avic slings tend to just.. Die. A. Metallica is beautiful, imo.

Haha, yeah, they are. To me, though, it's not really about the lock, per se, since all it would take is a drop to the floor to break that plexi glass. I feel like it'll help me be sure that I've got them properly closed away when they are in the closet. Who knows.

It's a piece of mind thing, I understand.

synic

Arachnosquire
As for the Avic, I've read that most are docile, and that versi's are the more aggresive ones. I have a versi sling, 1/2" atm and she's a sweetheart, attacks crickets twice her size (Pre injured, though). I just mist him with a very slight mist, usually on the walls daily. He's in pre molt right now, hoping he makes it because avic slings tend to just.. Die. A. Metallica is beautiful, imo.
Ooh, A. metallica looks like a winner!

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My vote goes for A. versicolor! They change so much colors from slings to adults!

synic

Arachnosquire
The guy that is picking up the little guys today is going to give me a Avicularia azuraklaasi sling in exchange. Looks pretty cool to me!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe when they are gone, I'll get myself a nice Avic. Any suggestions? :)
I love Avicularia sp. Peru Purple. Here's a pic that Swift has up on his site. Some people are also selling these listed as Avicularia urticans. I don't know if these are really urticans or not. I think there is still some debate on that.

synic

Arachnosquire
I love Avicularia sp. Peru Purple. Here's a pic that Swift has up on his site. Some people are also selling these listed as Avicularia urticans. I don't know if these are really urticans or not. I think there is still some debate on that.
Wow, lots of cool Avics. I also found this one: Avicularia diversipes

Looks _really_ cool as a sling, and super cool as an adult:

sling:

adult:

kristinnandbenn

Arachnopeon
An old world T is not THAT much worse than a new world. I don't see the difference in keeping the two in the same house as a child. I doubt she would ever get bit even if they did escape. They were poeci's anyways. they would have went up and stayed there.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
An old world T is not THAT much worse than a new world. I don't see the difference in keeping the two in the same house as a child. I doubt she would ever get bit even if they did escape. They were poeci's anyways. they would have went up and stayed there.
And what experience do you have to know this? Have you been bit?

Just read some bite reports or ask Robc. I'm sure he'll tell you that an old world T is not THAT much worse. :wall:

synyster

Arachnobaron
I had a P.Murinus that escaped 3 months prior toy daughters birth. It happens and i'd say the best precaution possible is to block the exits of the room there in. As said before, as escape will mostly happen while re-housing, maintenance, etc.. So keeping a T in a container locked in another container wont help at all unless you have a wandering cat that has access to your T room (and in this case that would mean your kids have access to the room also!) so if this is the case, donate those T's if your scared. The best option i would say is to isolate the room itself. Block the openings in the door with those type of hard rubbers that you would nail on your front door to keep the cold out. Make sure the room has no gaps that has access to the rest of the house and do all maintenance in there. I have had escapes that have never made it past that room. And i dont just house hot T's (i keep androctonus australis in there!). My 2 kids are 7yrs and 8 months old. And I also think that experience is a factor. If your not an experienced keeper and are not used to Spider behavior, well maybe stay with basic new world and non aggressive T's until you feel more conmfterable. This is my opinion:)