hot scorpion

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi i am currently wanting to get a hot scorpion right now the most aggressive ones i have are 4 hadrurus spadix,and a mozambique hissing scorpion.I was thinking about parubuthus liosoma is this a good choice?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Parabuthus scorps are quite hot, but you should heed the warning of "Spitting Scorpion", and use eye protection as well as what I should hope you practice with Hadrurus, "No Touchy!". According to the LD-50, the Parabuthus scorps, other than transvaalicus, are at a low rating compared to most Centruroides scorps. This is not something I would pay any attention to, on liosoma. I had a male get startled by crickets before and a 3 inch locust, most recently. He merely flicks his stinger at them, sending them through the air and across the entire 10 gallon tank (the locust hit the opposite wall of the tank and fell to the ground). Upon hitting the ground, they have all been already dead. By the time he makes his way to them, he can alreay begin to eat without any life in them. And that's a BIG locust!!! Actually, it's about three time his little size!
If I were just starting out with hotter scorps, I would go with a middle eastern scorpion and a female, as they usually have a tendency to be more defensive, rather than offensive. I can also recommend something in the lines of Centruroides, to get you warmed up to a faster, hotter scorpion. It would probably be in your best interest, rather than something capeable of what I just mentioned AND extremely fast.

adios,
edw. :D

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am having really good luck with an A. australis i just purchased. It never chases after the tongs when i put them in there, it mostly runs, but when going after food it is very VERY quick. Mine hides most of the time under a rock that has been caved out under it, so view is usually just its "face" area while it is keeping an eye out. It also like to snuggle under the low spikes of the cactus in the tank, it must make it feel more protected. It is a very hot scorp so if you feel your not able to KEEP AWAY from it, then keep workin with the easier ones. But, if you feel that you can keep its stinger away from you if needed then this seems to be a great bugger!

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow !! Great description there Edw! Caught my attention. Aaaaahh, cant wait until i care for some hot scorps, But i think it`ll be a little while yet. I don`t know what i would do if it ever got out and stung somebody. I would feel Realy bad if anyone ever got hurt [or died] on account of some small mistake that i might have made, whatever that may be. `Cause you never know. Stupid things Can happen. But hey their a beautifull creature and deserves a lot of respect.

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As a side note to this post, what do you keep your hot scorps in? I'm going to go ahead a get a B. jacksoni and was either thinking I'd section off a 10 gallon tank with a clipped metal mesh lid, or get two different sized sweater boxes and keep one within the other. But for all of us new-to-hot keepers, what do you more experienced hobbyists recommend?

Chris

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, personaly I don't have to worry too much about security. I don't have kids running around or anything. I keep some of my hot scorps in tupperware containers with tight-fitting lids. Others are in aquariums or critter keepers. When I took my female P.transvaalicus to a show recently, however, I made a custom locking top for the aquarium. The air holes are all covered so that air can go through but there is something to block the spray in the odd even that she should display that particular trait. There is a padlock which keeps it from being opened.

Cheers,
Dave

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
b jacksoni

chris i was also thinking of getting a babycurus jacksoni really good looking species thanks edw for all the good info really helpful.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Y/V/W ppl.

I keep all of mine in aquariums (2.5 gal-75 gal) and other enclosures built of wood and plexi-glas (largest being 8'x2'x4'). Not exactly sure which scorp species is going in there yet because the Apistobuthus female died before Bill had a chance to ship the pair. Like Bill said, perhaps that' was for the best, or something like that.

adios,
edw.