Horrible

Manimal

Arachnopeon
I went home after work yesterday, and checked on my Avic. Metallica, to notice it wasn't in it's usual place. When I looked under it's webbing, on the floor, I noticed hundreds of small ants. Yes, ***** ANTS. They had attacked my little sling, and eaten it alive. I feel terrible. I didn't even know we had ants here in my house :( The weird thing is that my Metallica was with all my other T's (G. Rosea; B. albopilosum; A. Versicolor sling), which were all still very alive, but only with one or two ants around trying to get to the metallica. Heartbreaking, and p***ed off with ants. :mad:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ants...small, efficient, simple.
Sorry about your loss :/

Manimal

Arachnopeon
Yeah, true unfortunately. Not the best 'learning curve' for a newbie though. Now I've got my other T's living with me in my bedroom, which I don't mind, but my girlfriend isn't to keen on it

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry to hear about that , hope all your other little ones have no problems

Manimal

Arachnopeon
Cheers ithuriel, they are doing fine, away from the ants that I didn't know where around...

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry mate -- thats horrible....

and Vys -- ar ni svensk?!

Manimal

Arachnopeon
Thanks RugbyDave [OT: I live near Rugby :D ]
So this brings me to my next question. How do you get rid of ants, with T's in the house. I am well aware that any type of pesticide is a big no-no, so what else can I do to maim/kill/destroy?

Mother's know best
Phoned up my lovely mater, and she said that I should lay down a line of Talcum/Baby powder against the skirting boards, cos the ants don't like it, and don't walk over it. Anyone heard of this? If it works, it'll be a great way for us T owners.

Again, thanks all :D

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Manimal
I went home after work yesterday, and checked on my Avic. Metallica, to notice it wasn't in it's usual place. When I looked under it's webbing, on the floor, I noticed hundreds of small ants. Yes, ***** ANTS. They had attacked my little sling, and eaten it alive. I feel terrible. I didn't even know we had ants here in my house :( The weird thing is that my Metallica was with all my other T's (G. Rosea; B. albopilosum; A. Versicolor sling), which were all still very alive, but only with one or two ants around trying to get to the metallica. Heartbreaking, and p***ed off with ants. :mad:
Well, sonny, that reminds me of the spring of '86. I'd just done come back with my family from the movies, and I felt an ache in my neck. That there tells me that there's trouble a-brewin, yessirree. Well, me and the other younguns gone to our rooms, only to see our pets was dead or dyin. The toads been oozing they insides, the skinks was floppin around, the turtles was dead, the bugs was in pieces, and the dog was cowering in fear. It took days to get rid of all them ants, and we kids got many a sting, I tell you what. Aside from the dog and the cat, our snakes was th' only ones which'n didn't die. Exceptin' the fish, of course, 'cause them there ants can't swim.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks RugbyDave [OT: I live near Rugby :D ]
So this brings me to my next question. How do you get rid of ants, with T's in the house. I am well aware that any type of pesticide is a big no-no, so what else can I do to maim/kill/destroy?
I get fire ants in the house every year. What you have to do is walk the perimeter of your house and see where they are coming in. Then kill them with chemical weapons.

Thjat doesn't work for long, though, because they'll be entering your house again within a few hours. Then you have to kill them again.

They'll keep coming back, and you'll keep killing them. Eventually, they'll get frustrated and look for another way in. That gives you a bit of time to relax. Once they find another way in, just start spraying them again.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer

Phoned up my lovely mater, and she said that I should lay down a line of Talcum/Baby powder against the skirting boards, cos the ants don't like it, and don't walk over it. Anyone heard of this? If it works, it'll be a great way for us T owners.

Again, thanks all :D
Here's a simpler way.. put either the cages, or (what I'd do) the feet of the shelf (assuming it has feet) in a pan of water with a thin coat of vegetable oil on top. If they can't cross it, they can't get to the T's. I can't remember who suggested this, but I'm sure it would work just fine, and be alot less messy than powder everywhere or using insecticides that might NOT kill the ants, but might kill your spiders.

Bill

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I asked someone who is usally good with this kind of thing. She said to get instant grits (don't cook them) and put them around wherever you see the ants. Also put them around outside your house wherever you think the ants are entering.

You know what happens to a bird when it eats rice right? Same thing happens to an ant stuffed with instant grits. LOL

That'll teach em!

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hate ants more than I despise Feeder Crickets. I suggest on a sunny day, you go hunt out an anthole with a nice translucent lens of some sort and start frying the suckers as a message to all the ants in your area that you aren't to be trifled with.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I hate ants after they invaded my Pokie's cage, but I can't help but to respect the little bastards, though -- They're so small and one individual means nothing, but in groups, they're pretty incredible little critters.

Very sorry about your loss. If I wouldn't have checked my pokie sooner, I may have lost her.

Manimal

Arachnopeon
Hehe, had to do a google on 'grits' :? interesting. Wouldn't be able to get that here I think.

Valael, I kick myself cos I didn't check the deli cup before I went to work. I reckon I may have saved it.

...and let's not get into feeder crickets, grrrrr!

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave

and Vys -- ar ni svensk?!
Ja, är jag :)
Önskar jag kunde tala isländska.. inte sådant bastardspråk som svenska.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey!

OT but i'm not from Rugby, i just play the sport :)

and Vys -- det ar mycket bra om du ar svensk! Jag bor i Island (USA nu, med Island ar min hom)...

kan ni islensku?

ants suck, but they're pretty cool creatures
peace,
dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Even better !!! Just put a small line of patroleum jelly under the lip of the cage.they wont cross it and you could use bait traps they work pretty good to get them killed ...the ones in your house.

Mat

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hehe, had to do a google on 'grits' :? interesting. Wouldn't be able to get that here I think.
=D =D =D =D =D =D

Oh that just gave me a good laugh! Don't feel bad though, Manimal. A lot of Americans from up North would have no clue what it is either. Me though... I was born in Texas and grew up in North Carolina. I've got grits in my cupboard right now! :}

kellygirl

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) when i get ants i use nippon. liquid that they eat , take back to the nest n feed to the young and the queen. takes a few weeks but its worked for me:)