Hook or funny tuft of hair?

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Male g. Porteri hooked out, or is this a tuft of hair? T in question has not developed pedipalps. He has a tuft on the other leg, in the same spot as well. This is my first male T. He has not molten in my care. I aquired him in November when he was left at a rental property owned by my friend's family. He eats great. Cage is a large KK, 4 or 5ish of economic earth sub. Dry. Cork bark hide. Water dish always filled, no stupid sponge.

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
MM T's that develop tibial spurs would have bulbous pedipalps aswell, Assuming the T in question is male it has not matured.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Sweet! Thank you for the confirmation. I thought it was just some fluff, but I don't have a ton of experince with males.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
For the species that do develop hooks as mature males, they are not on the pedipalps. They are on the first set of legs. All mature males get bulbous pedipalps, which look like this.

As you can see, if you have to ask "Is this a mature male?"... it probably isn't.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Oh gosh.. I totally knew which leg segment the hooks grow on too.. *blush*. I have totally embarrassed myself.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No problem. That's how you learn. I wasn't sure what to look for until I saw the "boxing gloves" the first time, then it was really obvious what to look for. Not every species hooks out, but they all get papal bulbs.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
*face palm* i'm new the this forum, and formatting is the bane of my existence.