honey bees

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can anyone reccomend some good sites or books on keeping honey bees? Does anyone have experience with keeping bees? I can't exactly have a bee hive considering where I live, but I'm interested in it all the same.

thanks,

Katy

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I haven't gone looking for web pages since I got my education the old fashioned way: my dad's a bee keeper.
This site is the course notes for the professor who teaches the course on bee keeping at Virginia Tech (he's my boss). You can find a lot of basic info in these.

If you have more specific questions, I can probably answer most of them.

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Um I have a cousin that sells honey for a living, I've lived in 2 houses that had a large nest of bees living in it.

I once caught two bees, a queen and a male, doing it in the air, thats what they were doing. Anyways, I brought it home, the male died and I really wanted to start a bee colony so I kept her, I don't remember what happen, I either let her go or she died. Been what....7 years?!?

I think I remember that queen bees, after laying their eggs, go off to find things to eat, they will eat meet, dried fish, other insects and such. Its probably not tree for all but for yellow jackets yes. The bees you see buzzing around your picnic basket isn't yogie dressed up in a bee suit, but a queen bee trying to nurture herself. I don't know I have a bad memory, just keep this in mind. Later...

BUZZZZZ ;P

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
FYI, with the exception that, yes, there are male and female bees, ignore everything that Neo wrote above. Of course you probably already knew that.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i'm still trying to figure out what the heck neo was trying to say...

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:( ;P If you can't understand that....I feel sorry for you...

Just stating some stuff I found out....not as if I used any big words :D

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
no, but replying in ENGLISH would have been nice...

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you sure you know what English is yourself?

:D

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry I only hit on girls... JK JK JK

:D <-----Looks Chinese

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, i am astounded by the wittiness of that last statement.

i have to go lay down... my head is reeling from the pure, unadulterated depth to that post....

wow...

;)

geez, where's a defour-post when you really need one?

but seriously, as for bees, try the local university --> ent. dept.. they can let you know where to go locally.

later
dave