Holy Leaping Togo's

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was doing the daily misting this morning and my male togo starburst shot out of its burrow ran of the side and made a leap for my hand, it managed to get 2 legs to touch the trigger finger :eek: but it did not get any grip thank goodness, and fell back in, it was okay though. It grabed a meal worm and ran back into its burrows.

The little guy can really jump.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

you are so lucky! i would have been so scared! is the scientific name for a togo is h.macalta or something? good luck with your togo,

James

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: hey

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
you are so lucky! i would have been so scared! is the scientific name for a togo is h.macalta or something? good luck with your togo,

James
Heteroscodra maculata, just got my first one today :)

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Can't wait for this to happen when I get one of these this weekend!

I'm kinda looking forward to moving into the aggressiveness realm. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Bill

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
hmmmm, I wonder what is up with the one I'm taking care of. She isn't like that at all. She hides behind her webbing, and just hunches up to make herself smaller when I open her container...
maybe I got the elusive 'scaredy cat togo' or something!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Togo is insane. It spazzes out at the slightest vibration and massacres any moving object within her grasp. She makes some of the coolest webs I have ever seen too.

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hunk a hunk of burning dirt.

I just saw my togo carrying a hunk of dirt around in its mouth,
while it was in its burrow. it droped it right away because it was looking at it. Ive never seen T's carry anything other then prey in there mouth before, anyone else notice this behaviour?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen the same thing. Although I don't know if they are technically carrying it in their mouths, I've seen them carrying substrate with their palps or fangs.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, my Usambara female is an earth moving machine. She picks up huge hunks of substrate in her fangs, and moves them. It's amazing to watch. Actually, the male did too, while he was helping enlarge her burrow. Then she ate him ;)

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

togo ornamentals from my exsperience are extremly fast and skittish, my 2.5 incher is a beserker,lol, dose'nt take much to get to do '' hyper speed'' laps around the container, i usualy am a bit more cautious dealing with my togo than with my female poke regalis, just never seen a t move so quick, anyone know the effects of their venom i have heard its potent , at least more so than some others, thanks----Jeff

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Togo doesnt carry stuff nor does it burrow it just spins webs all over the whole place and makes tunnels and stuff of webbing. My Rosehair is an earth mover though. She picks stuff up with her pedipalps and moves it. So was my old A Seemani

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, I've only had my togo for a day, but mine is looking to be a combo burrower/webber. It's working on a shallow scrape at the base of the cork bark and is webbing up some sort of a tube structure along the bark. So far no laps, just a hunkering down into the smallest possible size when disturbed.

As for digging, I see Ts all the time with wads of dirt between their chelicerae - they're little earth moving machines. I've got little 2" Chaco that religiously fills its water bowl like this.

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gee I have alot to look forward to. Mine is running around my house. I hope some day to find her before she finds me, but ya never know. Hope you get to enjoy yours CM longer than I did mine.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
peso's construction

Peso moved a small piece of dirt when he constructed his first and only burrow. he did this when he was scared during a car ride (in case you didn't read my thread), the poor little guy.
Paul

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Heteroscodra venom:

Ive been posting this alot but from what ive been able to gather, T's of subfamily Poecilotheriinae and Stromatopelminae(genera Poecilotheria, Stromatopelma, and Heteroscodra) as well as australian t's in the genus Selenocosmia have extremely potent venom. However, the arboreals are usually more skiddish and defensive and not aggressive per se. If you get bit its probably your own fault or a result of their escape/speed. That said, even so most bites that occur are dry bites meant to deter the threat(that is you).

Poecilotheria: Respiratory trouble, cardiovascular abnormalities(chatter/jumping/possible failure), swelling of bit area and up into the body, throbbing pain, vomiting.

Stromatopelma/Heteroscodra: It is possible that Stromatopelma is the link between harmless and potentially fatal T's. A study was conducted when trying to capture these T's in the wild. African natives were asked to climb up large trees and try to wrangle the T's in a cup, but ended up pissing off alot of adult females. A venom pump(i dont know what this is) was used on all bites, and it is probable that some of the natives would have died if it was not. Bites on the arm produced similar results to the poecilotheria bites only more pain and more cardiovascular jumping, and bites on the neck or areas with large open veins or connectivity to rest of the body put them in extremely high fevers that would be conducive to a coma. (summary of exothermae num.1).

Selenocosmia: I know little about these personally, but their is a bite report on the bite report forum here, and maybe steve nunn can comment.

-V

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
scarry stuff

Thats some scarry stuff, regarding there venom. I will just be cautious and use thick gloves when i deal with my Togo's cage

Anyways it looks like ive been luck so far, my Togo looks to have gone into premoult it completely webed itself in and has not made any appearances above the surface. all 3 of the burrow entrances were closed off, and it webed the window to the outside world.

Last edited: