Holy Hormetica!!!

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's nice. What about their care requirements? I looked it up, but nobody has really written anything on it as far as i can tell.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Hormetica are easy to hadle. Heck they actually hang on to you very well. I wish I could do better on the price, but these roaches are very hard to get. These are also very large and almost a year old. Hormetica is very slow growing and have been recording breeding at 3+ years of age.
James
www.blaberus.com
People who complain about prices are just making excuses. If they want to drop the price they can buy a few, breed a ton and give them away for free to bring down the cost.

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very good pics!! I love these roaches. I have some of Hormetica subcinta (in Europe we call it as Lucihormetica subcinta). They are very slow growing.

About Macropanesthia rhinoceros.... well, for me, one of the best roaches:drool: :drool: .

About the prices, in Europe M. rhinoceros are 125 euros (130-135$) a pair (male and female), and the babys are 22-25 euros (25-28$). The roaches in Europe are cheaper, but there are less people breeding them.

Good luck James:)

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't mean to get off subject, but are you planning on distributing rhinos in the future. It'd be nice to see those in the hobby more.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rhinos

There was about 35 pairs of them about a year ago. There are more coming soon but they are not so east to get. In Europe there are many more roach breeders and species. Rhinos are also cheaper becasue they are easier to get. Europe is not nearly as strict as the US when it comes to insects. Go to the Hamm, Germany show and you will see so many crazy insect it will blow your mind. Here most people keep private because of Big Brother. There are many more species of (Luci) Hormetica and hopefully some day we will see them. There are even some folks collecting megaloblatta, but they are very rare.
James
www.blaberus.com

Attachments

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this foto is really impressive, havn't seen a handle pic of a megaloblatta for a while

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ahh, the domino roach, i want to get a colony of those started for my b-day(i know thats a nerdy gift, but hey, what can you expect). Have you succesfulyy bred them yet? I thought it would be really nice to have a small colony in one of those exo-terra glass terrariums fpr display:)

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any chance on megaloblatta coming to the states?

Any chance you'll have rhinoes at acon?

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dominos

Yes, I have bred them. They are not easy to culture but a very active roach and you see them out a lot as adults. I hope to have rhinos soon, but will most likely not be able to attend the show this year. Megaloblatta some day, but I have a friend working on many cool new species never before offered. It will be quite some time to establish them but I will post pictures once they arrive.
James
www.blaberus.com

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So whats their "secret" to culturing? Is it rotting wood, or high humidity, or what???

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow!!! :worship: :worship:

I´m looking for Megaloblatta longipennis like crazy!!

How do toy care them? Temperature? Humidity? What kind of substratum (coco fiber....)? Thank you very much.:)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those rhinos are pretty impressive looking. I bet they jab pretty hard with those spiny legs if they don't like the way they are being picked up. Tempting, but I would like to get rid of some things before I tried that. Thinking about getting rid of the Hissers. Thanks for the pics!

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hissers

How many hissers do you have? The rhinos are easy to handle and they use them in classrooms in Australia. It's nice to have adults because they are so impressive, but I like raising up smaller ones because you get to see them grow.
James
www.blaberus.com

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh, I love those pictures, thanks for sharing, James. I have only three hormeticas, but I'm hoping to get more. They aren't mature yet and I've had them a while. One of my rhinos bit me, btw, but I'm hoping it was just a love bite. My dominos finally matured, and are breeding, but none of the egg cases have hatched yet.

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ahh, so domino's lay egg cases, hmm. That's so funny how in America it's $300 for a single pair of rhino's, but in Australia rhino's are kept a lot like hissers are in the U.S.; cheap and easy classroom pets:p

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
prices

They are not cheap in Australia either, but just more available. You have to remember that rhino typically don't breed till 4-5 years of age and then they only have one litter per year. Not very productative compaired to the other roach species.
James
www.blaberus.com