Hole in substrate for added moisture?

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First of all, I tried to the search function but I found no posts discussing this issue. There are some people who allow the water dish to overflow once a fortnight to retain some moisture in the substrate. Sometime ago, I read of one person who has a tiny diamater hole penetrating through the entire substrate depth to the bottom of the enclosure. Whenever water is poured on the substrate, it runs down this hole and allows more of the substrate to receive moisture.

Do many people use this 'strategy'? Furthermore, could anybody see any negative effects that this might produce? For example, would it increase the chance of mold or fungus developing? Or would it be entirely a beneficial thing?

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It must be similar to what is used in lands to drain the excessive water, only the other way around. I can't see its use or at least difference from watering or overflowing the substrate as generally the substrate used for T's is quite loose. especialy because if you do that the water will still moist the surface, that is probably why those people do it, to avoid soaking the substrate. some T's do not like it.
I mist it and let it almost dry before misting again and never make a swamp.

Buckwheat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One negative effect could be that if you have a burrowing species that has burrowed all the way to the bottom [not uncommon] you might be able to really make it angry if water moves into the burrow. I don't see the benefit of this really. Most species can be kept dry anyway. If you really want to add benefit to their enclosure try the Tropic Aire humidifer. They work great. The main thing with their use is that no outside air can mix with the inside air or the benefits are lost. Before someone asks, these units DO NOT pump moisture into the enclosure such as a fogger or the likes. These do not effect the substrate moisture levels. What they DO do, is pump in clean, cool humid air for the spider's benefit. There are no moisture droplets on the sides, you can't see it, can't sense it but they sure can! It is almost like smoke for lack of better discription. Killer tool for rain forest species. If you don't like that idea, you can dump about a quarter cup of water straight down the burrow about every other month[idea from Stan Schultz]which will provide them the humidity they need where they need it most. Just a thought.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Heres what I do.....

I place peat moss down for the substrate 4-5" deep. Then in one corner I place the Green decor moss. I place my water dishes right on that moss. When I water the dishes I overfill them and let them soak the moss. that holds moisture for most of the week.

jaycoheat

Arachnopeon
I used to mist, but I stopped that some time ago. I just use a water dish now. But every now and then i'll pour a little water right in the corners just to keep the subtrate from getting bone dry.

kingfarvito

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok if your going to go with the hole do it like this....
(g=gravel)
(s=subsraits)
(t=tube or hole)
(c=shadecloth)
(i=the tank)

I____________TI
I____________TI
I____________TI
ISSSSSSSSSSSTI
ISSSSSSSSSSSTI
ICCCCCCCCCCCTI
IGGGGGGGGGGGTI