Hogna and Geolycosa

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Geolycosa...they have the cutest faces! I still want a Hogna carolinensis someday. Such a beastly looking spider. :drool:

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
congrats on finally finding carolinensis! i keep meaning to explore the nj pine barrens for some, which really seems like my best shot, but i'm having trouble finding the time.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
any chance you got a picture of that habitat ? :)

No good pics. Basically sandy areas w/ scattered pine trees. Understory dominated by ferns and bare areas.

congrats on finally finding carolinensis! i keep meaning to explore the nj pine barrens for some, which really seems like my best shot, but i'm having trouble finding the time.
After a ton of mis-IDs and close calls, I finally got it. My target species was the Geolycosa. The carolina was just a freaking awesome bonus. The Jersey Pine barrens sounds perfect for the big wolves and this time of year would be a good time to look. Hope you can find the time to do some collecting. Post pics if you do find anything cool.

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After a ton of mis-IDs and close calls, I finally got it. My target species was the Geolycosa. The carolina was just a freaking awesome bonus. The Jersey Pine barrens sounds perfect for the big wolves and this time of year would be a good time to look. Hope you can find the time to do some collecting. Post pics if you do find anything cool.
You've inspired me to finally get down to the pines. Took a quick trip this afternoon to look around a bit. Only saw a couple definitive burrows, and had a bit of tug of war with one of the occupants. Couldn't draw it out completely, but saw orange chelicerae for sure. The spider wasn't large, and I didn't see enough of it to draw any conclusions. I must say though, it did look somewhat like the h. baltimoriana spiders that you and I have captured. I need to find some images of juvenile carolinensis. I'm planning on a night trip tomorrow.

The habitat you've described sounds very similar to the nj pine barrens. Did you find these spiders in burrows, out in the open, or under rocks/etc?

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The habitat you've described sounds very similar to the nj pine barrens. Did you find these spiders in burrows, out in the open, or under rocks/etc?
I do the eyeshine method @ night. The spiders were out in the open, just walking around. Never located any burrows. Flipping rocks produced mostly ants. If you saw orange chelicerae in a burrow that is a very good sign. baltimoriana burrows are no wider than a pencil. Carolina burrows are slightly larger. Also baltimoriana is not entirely black ventrally. Good luck! Hunting should be good through October so plenty of time remaining.