Hisser babies

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Today was feeding day for my hisser colony and to my surprise I saw two babies on top of a hidey. I don't know when they were born, but I'm excited. My question is...shouldn't there be more? I can't locate any other babies and don't know if their burrowed. I've read females usually have 15-40 babies at a time. Also is there anything I should know about caring for the babies?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Congrats on the nymphs! :D There should be a lot more than just two though, maybe they are just hiding? Are you sure your enclosure is escape proof? The babies have identical care needs as the adults, they do dry out easier though, so make sure they always have moisture available.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Congrats on the nymphs! :D There should be a lot more than just two though, maybe they are just hiding? Are you sure your enclosure is escape proof? The babies have identical care needs as the adults, they do dry out easier though, so make sure they always have moisture available.
Thank you @Hisserdude! I wasn't expecting babies, I'm thrilled! I'm not sure if I should dig through substrate and see if their hiding, and yes the enclosure is escape proof. I have no idea where the others could be, weird. I've attached a pic of the two nymphs that are visible, they've been in the same spot and staying very close to my larger female.

Attachments

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Thank you @Hisserdude! I wasn't expecting babies, I'm thrilled! I'm not sure if I should dig through substrate and see if their hiding, and yes the enclosure is escape proof. I have no idea where the others could be, weird. I've attached a pic of the two nymphs that are visible, they've been in the same spot and staying very close to my larger female.
They don't really burrow, sometimes they will scatter and hide under loose substrate, but for the most part they don't burrow, they prefer to hang out on wood/bark or cardboard hides, or around the rim of the enclosure. Odd that there are only two...

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
They don't really burrow, sometimes they will scatter and hide under loose substrate, but for the most part they don't burrow, they prefer to hang out on wood/bark or cardboard hides, or around the rim of the enclosure. Odd that there are only two...
I found a third hiding in a crevice on the bark. I searched pretty thoroughly and can't find any others. I tossed the sub a bit as well and nothing. The enclosure fits flush on top of the enclosure, there are no gaps. What could have happened? Is it possible that a female only had three?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I found a third hiding in a crevice on the bark. I searched pretty thoroughly and can't find any others. I tossed the sub a bit as well and nothing. The enclosure fits flush on top of the enclosure, there are no gaps. What could have happened? Is it possible that a female only had three?
It's possible they developed inside of her faster than their brethren, and she still has more to give birth to, or that for some reason she was stressed out, and only gave birth to three and aborted the rest of the ootheca. However if you didn't see a discarded ooth in the cage anywhere, then that's probably not what happened.