1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Hiking the DC Metro Area

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by Shrike, May 22, 2012.

1. Shrike

Shrike Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    Thanks tarcan! Thinking about getting a dedicated macro lens...any advice?

2. Low

Low Arachnoknight

Excellent photographs and excellent fauna...

I really envy the diversity in your parks etc...
    Not near as much of that here in central oklahoma...either too damn hot or too damn cold.

3. tarcan

tarcan Arachnoking Old Timer

well, you cannot go wrong with pretty much any macro lens, they are usually all optically excellent. I do not know the Nikon ones, since I use Canon. But the Sigmas and Tamrons are great lenses and are usually more affordable.

4. Shrike

Thanks Low. I wouldn't get too down on OK though. Go find me a western hognose snake, a coachwhip, or better yet, a nice diamondback. And since this is AB, how about a few A. hentzi?

---------- Post added 10-02-2012 at 10:43 PM ----------

Thanks tarcan. Affordable sounds good to me. I'll be sure to check them out.

5. tarcan

Do not forget to consider used, you can save a lot of money. Generally, the focal lenghts between 90-105mm are the most popular and what people find the easiest to use.

Remember that you will need to consider some lighting options as well, so it can get costly unfortunately.

Martin

6. Shrike

[​IMG]
    This was one of those wish you had a macro lens moments.

[​IMG]
    Parasteatoda tepidariorum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pselliopus barberi

[​IMG]
    Some type of fly, cleaning the wind shield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think this is Araneus marmoreus. Beautiful!

• Like Like x 2
  7. advan

advan oOOo Staff Member

I love this thread! Keep 'em coming! What camera and lens are you using? :D

8. Shrike

Thanks Chad! I plan to, although the photos might get a bit sparse when winter rolls around. I use a Nikon D3100 with the lens the camera came with: AF-S NIKKOR 18-55 mm. Hopefully I can get my hands on a macro lens so I can get some of tarcan's mojo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. advan

advan oOOo Staff Member

Nice! That's my set-up! :D Cheap way to get macros without a new lens is get a reverse ring. That's how I've been getting macro shots ;) I've heard the Tokina 100mm is as good if not better then the Nikon alternative and for half the price! Check it out! :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tarcan

excellent new series, very sharp, great colours and back ground, I think you are ripe for a macro lens, although these shots are really excellent and sometimes it is nice to have shots that are not too much close-ups for full body shots.

Keep it up, I enjoy this thread a lot!

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shrike - awesome pictures. Pretty much inspiring. You have some really great, rare finds and some great photographs of common species displaying uncommon behaviours. I've seen hundreds of snappers, never mating though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shrike

Back in the saddle again after a long winter. These are from Ellanor C. Lawrence Park and Huntley Meadows Park in Fairfax County, VA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    spotted salamander, Ambystoma maculatum

[​IMG]
    A planking red eared slider, Trachemys scripta elegans

[​IMG]
    Come at me bro! Nice looking common snapper, Chelydra serpentina.

[​IMG]

A turtle trio, Trachemys scripta elegans, Chrysemys picta

[​IMG]
    red eared slider, Trachemys scripta elegans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    red backed salamander, Plethodon cinereus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And this one is also a red backed salamander, Plethodon cinereus, albeit a more rare color phase. This was a new find for me :biggrin:

[​IMG]
    The local beavers decided to take over the boardwalk.

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately, somebody decided to let their koi go in the local pond. At least they're not snakeheads.

[​IMG]
    southern leopard frog, Lithobates sphenocephalus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    spotted turtle, Clemmys guttata

[​IMG]
    great blue heron, Ardea herodias (I hope it got a nice koi dinner)

• Like Like x 5
  13. Are you finding the salamanders out in the open like that? I would only see them if I flipped rocks over.

14. Shrike

No, I do a lot of flipping (that's an understatement), carefully of course, and I put cover objects back where I found them. You generally won't find salamanders out in the open like that. An exception to that is this time of year, when it's not uncommon to find some salamander species congregating at vernal pools, especially at night.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tarcan

excellent, nice to see some new action here! We justhad a snow storm up here, so will have to wait some more before I can go out.

keep the pictures coming!

Martin

16. Shrike

Thanks Martin! Same to you. Bring on the warm weather.

17. Shell

Shell ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker Staff Member

Love the new pics! :)

18. Im not far from DC, about an hour north. NOTHING is out up here yet. Bummer. Cant wait to get some more painted turtles and snappers. We get GREAT pictures. Havent found a spotted yet, you are good! Where are you finding these guys?

19. Shrike

Thanks Shelley!

Thanks man! Huntley Meadows is an undisturbed wetland floodplain that fills up in early spring and summer. I'd say the water never gets deeper than 36 inches at most. Absolutely great habitat for spotted turtles (and tons of other wildlife as well) The turtles appear around this time of year and are really tough to find once the heat of summer hits. I've never found one later than May. When I do find them they're in fairly shallow water with no flow in it at all. This one was making its way through about 4 inches of water in a flooded area of woodland.

Happy hunting!

---------- Post added 03-20-2013 at 10:27 PM ----------

Forgot to post this one:

[​IMG]
    Another snapper. Not the best photo, but I got a kick out of spotting it down in the muck. This was one of the first warm weekends here so maybe it was just about to emerge from hibernation.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sr20det510

sr20det510 Arachnoknight

Awesome pics!
    Keep up the good wok!

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.